Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Samsung 870 EVO 500gb SATA not detected in BIOS on warm boot

(Topic created on: 22-04-2022 09:34 AM)
Ktest2
First Poster
Options

SSD Samsung 870 EVO 500gb SATA not detected in BIOS on warm reboot. On cold boot, the ssd is detected and works fine. The problem occurs on HP Probook 4730s with the Debian 11 operating system installed.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Check for a BIOS update for the laptop but at the same time it could be Debian putting the drive in an odd power state while it restarts. Have you checked the journals for any warnings or errors connected to the drive?
0 Likes
Ktest2
First Poster
Options

Thank you! BIOS version latest. The firmware version of the SSD also. Logs checked for errors. There is only one error on every reboot - "kernel: watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!"

Found a similar bug https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/computers-it/bug-or-error-on-870-qvo-ssd-1-tb-cannot-be-detected...ubuntu-20/td-p/4253253

In addition, I read about a similar error with the EVO 870 for a related laptop model HP Probook 4540s

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
I'd open a support ticket with Samsung then because they need to address that with a drive firmware update. Even though you are using Linux you can still flash the drive via ISO or lvfs if it's supported by the latter. When I got my first crucial MX SSD it had similar issues but also with other SATA commands. I worked with Micron as a guinea pig testing their attempts at updates until it was fixed. Then they released the firmware publicly. The watchdog error isn't connected, that is to do with your processor. It can be ignored as you could actually turn off the watchdog service on a laptop. Consult the Debian wiki and community about that process for your particular processor as it varies between Intel and AMD
0 Likes
Ktest2
First Poster
Options

Sent a request to Samsung support

0 Likes
xpelengx
First Poster
Options

Hi i have the same issue with this ssd how to sent a request to Samsung support?

0 Likes