Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 980 Pro 1TB slow write speed and low lifespan

(Topic created on: 03-06-2021 07:40 PM)
Wim-Bart
Journeyman
Options

I have multiple SSD's from Samsung (and others) which all have great speed after years of usage. My 970 EVO in my home ESX server, no degradation in speeds, my good old 830 after 12 years still fast and 98% healthy (after beiing Windows boot disk for 11 years including swap disk).

But now my brand new 980 pro... What is pro at this drive? It has an amateur design. After 2 weeks, write performance did dump from 5.000+ to bare 2.100. If I want this speed I buy a PCIe 3 drive. After 2 months of usage already at 98% lifetime in a normal Windows s system, my 830 took 12 years to take there at same use pattern.

Sorry but there is NOTHING PRO at this drive, it is more expensive then others and not even close as competitive. 

Do not buy this product. It is not up to it's task, due to degradation of speed and lifetime, it is not suitable as an system/OS drive. 

6 REPLIES 6
arvids
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

@Wim-Bart HI How many TB did u have written on these drives

0 Likes
arvids
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

@Wim-Bart  and what program did u use to monitor the health of your ssd drives ?  I hope the program u use is https://www.hdsentinel.com/  if not please download and check the health 

0 Likes
Wim-Bart
Journeyman
Options

Written 2.1TB and drive is 714GB full. 

And Magician reports: "Free space of this this is insuffiucient"

what is BS, because why buy a 1TB disk if you can't put 900GB data on it. 

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
you can but performance drops off when there's less than 25% free space on SSD and nvme drives. They use the free space to provide the rated levels of performance as cache or via their internal controller's RAID striping of the chips on the storage device. I'm not overly impressed with Samsung Magician either.
0 Likes
Wim-Bart
Journeyman
Options

I allready did take off 10% for OP, and have approx 20% free on volume. So relative it is between 25-30%. My Corsair MP600, has NO OP, is filled up to less then 15% free and has no drops in speed. My 970 EVO, also NVME also approx 90% full, also no drop in speed.

Edit: Ok I did free the drive until it has 50% free on volume, and still having 10% OP. I did do a TRIM, Reboot, Chipset driver update and..... same write performance. The performance does not come back.

strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

@Wim-Bart 

the degradation shouldn't be too soon

have this reported via below link, so the expert can fix this 

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/support/contact-us_popup/

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes