Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow EVO 970 PLUS write speeds

(Topic created on: 05-09-2021 07:51 AM)
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I have an evo 970 PLUS 2TB SSD installed in an external thunderbolt 3 enclosure but I am only getting 1300MB/s write speeds (read speeds are good - 2875MB/s). My smaller 970 EVO 1TB gives me 2800MB/s write speeds in the same enclosure - why is this? I was expecting similar or better write speeds with the 970 EVO plus ? The enclosure is a Samsung X5 which was originally 500GB.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

have you seen if the ssd throttles under the test?

Archer
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
After much research it appears its a evo 970 plus firmware thing. Works at full rate with non-plus evo 970. Not throttling as temps remain low and rates consistent throughout tests. I believe its a cache issue.
0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

it may well be a firmware issue, in that case have a look with magician to see if the drive's firmware is up to date, if so you unfortunately need to wait for a firmware update to fix the issue 😞

Archer
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Thanks - I have also noticed lots of tb3 enclosures do not recommend evo 970 plus. In hindsight I should have probably gone with an evo 860 Pro. I won't hold my breath for a samsung update 🙂
0 Likes
fiulian
Student
Options

I have a 970 Evo with the same issue, but way underperforming.

I have write speeds at 940mb/s at best.

HW monitor found a peak at 3085mb/s, but only for a second, the medium is 880mb/s, this is awful!

I checked the comments above and don't think that it is a firmware issue, as it performed well for some time after I installed it. My bet is on a Windows 11 update of some sort, this OS has been giving issues with M.2 also in the beginning.

Anyone had some further follow-up on this?

0 Likes