Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung_T5 SSD

(Topic created on: 14-08-2020 04:57 PM)
Templar_28
First Poster
Options

I use a Samsung_T5 SSD connected to my laptop to save my Windows 10 scheduled backups to. I 'm in the habit of keeping it connected at all times so that I don't get error messages when Windows tries to run a backup. I've been told I shouldn't do this as it will damage my SSD. Is this correct?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

which part of what you wrote should damage the sdd? If you are referring to the fact of being constantly connected it will not ruin your sdd.

The backup is run from which drive to which drive?

0 Likes
Templar_28
First Poster
Options

I am using Norton's backup facility to backup files from my HP Pavilion laptop's C: drive to the T5 SSD. I have the Norton backup set to scheduled automatic backups and therefore keep the T5 permanently plugged into the laptop's USB port. If I disconnect it, Norton cannot find where to backup to and sends an error message. I am in the habit of sleeping my laptop if I'm not using it during the day and I close it down at night. A friend, who knows a lot more about computers than me, tells me that awakening the computer and re-booting it in the morning is not good for an SSD. He suggests I set Norton back-up to manual and only connect the T5 SSD when I run backup and disconnect afterwards. This seems like a lot of trouble and relies on me remembering to backup. I've read that keeping the SSD connected is O.K. but now I'm not sure ...................

0 Likes