Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung SSD 870 EVO 500 gb, checkdisk running at every startup, windows says drive is corrupted, please advise

(Topic created on: 30-05-2022 08:15 AM)
AndersW
First Poster
Options

volume may be corrupted, run chkdskvolume may be corrupted, run chkdskShort smart test failing LBAShort smart test failing LBA

Drive error, repair driveDrive error, repair drive

I have run a full diagnostic scan using samsung magician, no errors on drive, I have run smart test, says failing LBA, and it keep running chkdsk on startup, it starts up and then says to me there's error on drive, and wants to reboot so it can run checkdisk again. The machine seems to run well enough at the moment.

Is the drive defective? I have never experienced a drive running checkdisk every startup. It has done so for some weeks without me noticing, and running somewhat fine. Now i got a BSOD error ATTEMPTED SWITCH FROM DPC. I recall that i skipped the chkdisk at startup which i normally haven't done since it started doing this since it only take a few seconds each time. The computer was running and i was doing things for i want to say about an hour till i got the BSOD.

Please advise. 

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Check the SATA cable isn't damaged or loose from the main board SATA socket or the drive itself. Also check the power cable is in properly. However, Magician is showing a bad block too in Log #3. Warranty claim if you haven't exceeded the TBW value and it's under 5 years old. Either way you need a new drive. Backup what's on it before any more blocks fail. If it's an M.2 (can't remember if the 870 is or not) ignore the stuff about cables and proceed straight to drive replacement either via warranty or buying one outright yourself
0 Likes
AndersW
First Poster
Options

Thank you for the response. It's less than 1 years old, so it should be fine with the warranty. 

It is strange because i run a full diagnostic scan that lasted what 40 minutes or something, and it showed no bad sectors whatsoever. Yet i ran the short SMART test and it says LBA failed and then the block number. Obviously something is going on when it's running checkdisk at every startup.

It has been just fine up till now.

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Yeah, well good luck and do backup asap
0 Likes
AndersW
First Poster
Options

I have an update that i would like your oppinion on. I managed to apparently run chckdsk c: with x f and r on, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow. And i apparently should have restarted 1 extra time, since when i tried today it now actually repaired the drive during startup rather than just doing nothing, and now windows reports no error. Normally it would start up and say it repair but do nothing, but now it actually was repairing various things. 

So now it shows no error in windows, HOWEVER it still shows 1 bad block, failing LBA 57816064, it fails at the same block every time according to samsung magician. I haven't run an extended smart test but this is what it shows with fast smart test. 

So is that 1 bad block enough to seek warranty claim? It has also power on hours 4802 so that's 200 days. So it's a relatively new drive. What do you advise at this point?

windows drive, no longer errorwindows drive, no longer errorover provisioning now no longer errorover provisioning now no longer errorstill failure lba at 1 block, same block every time at smart teststill failure lba at 1 block, same block every time at smart test

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Yes, I'd initiate a claim anyway. It's too new to be having bad blocks
0 Likes