Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung SSD 850 EVO connection to PC

(Topic created on: 13-06-2020 03:14 PM)
geoffwba
Apprentice
Options

I have the above SSD which is currently connected to my PC via a SATA 6gb/s port. I have noticed that my motherboard (MSI B450 Tomahawk Max ) has a USB-C socket, which is currently unused.  Would connecting the SSD to USB-C make a significant difference to its read/write speeds? I believe it is possible to get a USB-C to Sata cable to facilitate this.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

The sata connection is faster than the usb c if you do not want to make it portable it is useless to do so. Also the fact that it is usbc does not necessarely imply it is 3.0 or more, in this case it should be a 3.1 but it is not worth the tradeoff.

Also keep in mund that if yoh ssd is your bootdrive you will not be able to use it to boot windows if it is connected via usb.

Furthermore the maximum speed of the ssd is not determined by the connection in the sense that if your ssd is rated at a maximum 600 mb/s sequential in ideal conditions having it connected to a 6gb port or a 600 gb port will make no difference

0 Likes
geoffwba
Apprentice
Options

You are quite right- the SSD is the boot drive and I had forgotten that !  I will leave things as they are.

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Yes, also you will gain no performance

0 Likes