Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Odyssey G7 (32 inch) - Inverse ghosting/Overshoot issue when FreeSync ON

(Topic created on: 09-08-2021 08:06 PM)
Tomáš Ondroušek
Apprentice
Options

Good day,

Since I didn't find the Monitors section anywhere in the forum selection, I entered the nearest TV forum here. I bought a Samsung Odyssey G7 monitor (32 inches) from you and I have a problem I can't handle. This is a defect called Inverse ghosting / overshoot, a phenomenon that looks like a white glow behind moving objects (see the link to reddit.com below), which this monitor has even without the FreeSync turned on, where no matter what range of the frame it is, it is this defect is minimal.

But when I turn on FreeSync in both the OSD monitor and the Radeon software, the situation changes: I usually use the FPS limiter directly in the Adrenaline software (Radeon software), when I play with FPS lock 1 FPS after the monitor frequency limit, so in the case of 240 HZ I have lock on 239 FPS- I found out that if the frames reach this value, resp. GPU, then inverse ghosting is minimal. But the less FPS the graphics card reaches, the greater the inverse ghosting, so when I play at 100-120 FPS, for example, this defect is extreme, as in the link to the video and the game is practically unplayable, it really interferes and annoys to see for example figures, rather around figures or objects with a white glow (even at a value of 200 FPS at 240 HZ, the defect is quite visible, really only from about 220-240 FPS is minimal and practically invisible if I do not focus on it.

There is a solution to turn on the VRR (variable refresh rate) function in the OSD monitor, which returns the inverse ghostin to the stable minimum value as without FreeSync, but another defect occurs, namely microstuttering and also that FreeSync simply does not work as it should (as without VRR) -butter knife, emotionally it's like I played without FreeSync (in some games it's like I played at 144 HZ instead of 244 HZ). VRR makes FreeSync jerky and unsmooth.

I also know this from reddit.com that a lot of other G7 owners have the same and I have the latest firmware 1010.3

I tried the impossible with various modifications like in Radeon software, monitor settings or with CRU utility where I tried to change the range and values ​​of the FreeSync range, or overclock the monitor, but I either have extreme inverse ghosting (usually from 100 - 200 FPS) or stuttering.

I managed to achieve that I had half Inverse ghosting and half stuttering, when if I remember correctly I had the FreeSync range set to 240 and the monitor frequency to 240.495 via CRU (custom resolution utility), just because either OS, GPU or the monitor rounds the value to 240,500 to 241, where it is already stuttering. But 240 is inverse ghosting again. So I probably confused it somehow, so in short, the system somehow took it as something in between and got both here, ie a little less inverse ghosting, but with tearing (non-smoothness).

If I overclock the monitor to 250 hz and increase the range of FreeSync to 250, then inverse ghosting is even if I reach frames per second up to 250 fps, which is not the case with default 240hz / 240fps (overshoot is minimal). If I set the FreeSync range below the value of the monitor frequency even by only 1 unit, the inverse ghosting / overshoot disappears but the image tears again ... etc.

I didn't expect that i will face these kind of problems at the 660 EURO monitor. Although the VRR function inverses / returns the inverse ghosting to the default value of the monitor, such as it has without FreeSync activated, it comes with tear-smoothness-stuttering, although surprisingly in some games not as big as when I played with CRU utilities. In some games I didn't even know the difference (Borderlands 1), but in some it was much worse (Borderlans: Presequel, Aliens: Colonial Marines, ..). The VRR function simply changes the behavior of FreeSync, it is not as smooth and in some games slower emotionally, as I mentioned here. It is then recognizable when moving the mouse and aiming quite vigorously.

Even here prematurely in the hope that it needs a weak GPU (RX 570 at the time), bought an RX 6700 XT for 18,000, formatted the SDD, did a fresh-install OS, updated all drivers, including the OS, but let me set up Radeon software , OSD monitor and wherever and whatever, it's still the same problem. I've also tried different versions of the GPU driver.

But it's not really a graphics card or HW, because other users on reddit.com write with exactly the same problem in the context of G-sync and nvidia.

I have firmware version 1010.3, which has been here since I bought the monitor about a month ago, but the monitor refuses to flash older firmware, I tried it because allegedly inverse ghosting should not be present with older firmware than version 1009.3. But I don't have this because the monitor doesn't allow firmware downgrade.

I don't know if it has anything to do with Flickering, which you tried to fix with firmware 1009.3 through VRR, but I don't have any flickering even with the VRR function turned on, because I know that it is enough to stay in the range of FreeSync (default by default). 240hz), paradoxically the opposite of Inverse ghosting, where by staying in the range of FreeSync frames per second, this annoying overshoot / inverse ghosting is present.

I ask Samsung to fix it cordially, because without this problem it is the monitor I fell in love with to fix this problem with the new firmware, so that either FreeSync without VRR has the inverse value of ghositng at the level as without activated FreeSync, or so that FreeSync with VRR enabled as smoothly as with the resulting VRR. Thank you

links to the mentioned problem:

www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/no746a/samsung_odyssey_g7_overshooting_with_gsync/

www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/ljn6y2/samsung_g7_massive_overshoot_inverse_ghosting/

6 REPLIES 6
BaxteruK
Navigator
Options
What's your response time? As you can still have tearing and overshoot with any monitor. It takes a lot of fine tuning. Using the fastest option can actually create more problems, try change this.
Tomáš Ondroušek
Apprentice
Options

response time option is GRAYED OUT in OSD of panel when youre using Adaptive sync ... 

while youre on Adaptive sync,then lowest response time is set, but cant change that, cause its simply grayed out

0 Likes
Tomáš Ondroušek
Apprentice
Options

i also week agou bought same monitor(G7 32 inch to test) and its still the same. 

What is even worse, you released day before i bought it new firmware 1011.0 which i applied but nothing changes, still the same Corona ghosting/overshoot and stuttery VRR function... what a shame

its obvious that it isnt only on G7 but also older panels like this: Samsung C24FG70 Overshoot (Inverse Ghosting) - YouTube

0 Likes
BaxteruK
Navigator
Options
I have the G5 and works like a dream, non of what you have mentioned. I think you need to tweak the settings personally. Just to add G-sync makes these monitors worse.
0 Likes
Tomáš Ondroušek
Apprentice
Options

So i hope, Samsung finally release some firmware on G7 which fix this terrible Inverse ghosting, just like you did it with flickering.... but who knows if older firmwares before 1009.3 didnt cause Inverse ghosting. It seems like it started happen with 1009.3, like some users on reddit mentioned. You see? this one have no overshoot and have got old firmware: Doom Eternal G-SYNC ON - Samsung Odyssey G7 - On Screen Gameplay - YouTube and he have no high framerate.

0 Likes
Tomáš Ondroušek
Apprentice
Options

sorry but i dont play games without Adaptive sync-FreeSync/G-sync. For me its useless. Why i shouldnt play without it, when it brings smoothness,no tearing,no stuttering? Its like you would say, 240hz makes no sense, 75 hz is better. After i first play with Adaptive sync, i dont want get back

0 Likes