Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Magician doesn't recognise drives in a Windows Storage Spaces pool

(Topic created on: 15-05-2021 08:24 PM)
DaveR28
Student
Options

I have a pair of 860 EVO SSD drives in my PC. When first installed Magician recognised them perfectly and showed all the details. When I created a Windows Storage space and added these drives to it they disappeared as far as Magician is concerned. This is a shame as I can't now monitor the drives' performance etc. Why can't Magician see them, they must still exist as drives at BIOS and driver level within Windows? Any chance Magician will be upgraded in future so that it can see them?

5 REPLIES 5
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

@DaveR28 

hello

Magician can only read NTFS/raw

please check file system type of your storage space

😉

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
DaveR28
Student
Options

Thanks for your post blueberry_cheesecake. I'd be interested to know where in the Samsung documentation this is mentioned. Also, is it relevant? In the same PC I also have another SSD drive and a spinning rust drive. Magician at least recognises that they exist and reports serial number, firmware version, temperature, SMART details, etc. But the two EVO SSDs are not listed at all, yet they appear as disk drives in Control Panel | Device Manager and in the BIOS so surely Magician ought to be able to show them and to display some information about them.

0 Likes
AnAdm
First Poster
Options

No, has nothing to do with the file system type. I used ReFS before. Magician didn't see it. I Switched to NTFS know. Still does not see it. But while the disk were blank, all were there. After the pool creation the were gone.

I think the Magician uses the wrong API to access the disks. Because the device manager still lists all my disk but the disk manager, of course, just shows the one big disk I want.

I tested it with ReFS on a single disk without storage spaces. It's shown in the Magician.

panagogli
Student
Options

I have the exact same problem, 

have 4 samsung ssd on my computer. One 860 evo 1TB and three 870 evo 500GB.

The two 870 evo are on Mirror Storage pool-Storage Spaces

Samsung Magician cannot see two 870 evo on Storage Spaces

I use Windows 10

Any solution for this?

0 Likes
spbonzo
Journeyman
Options

The Corsair SSD Toolbox does the same. I assume, as another poster has mentioned, that the wrong API is used. I would expect that tools like Samsung Magician and Corsair SSD Toolbox would connect to the drives at the device level rather than what appears to be the volume level.

0 Likes