Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Magician cannot recognise Samsung EVO 850

(Topic created on: 14-04-2017 03:02 PM)
Sandman
Student
Options

Hi All,

I have a Samsung Series 4 Laptop & wanted to upgrade the Hard Drive to an EVO 850 SSD. I bought the Starter kit, plugged everything in, ran the Magician Software, which promptly announced about the EVO that "This Drive is not supported (Invalid Serial Number). It also called it a portable SSD T1

The kit was brand new, sealed, & the Serial numbers on the Box & SSD match. I tried the unit on both USB 3.0 ports, both of which work fine. Also tried the included version of Magician, and the latest version downloaded from Samsung

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
AntS
Options

Hi @Sandman. :smileyhappy:

It might be best for you to get in touch with our SSD support partners, Hanaro here. Their contact details are:

Tel: 00 80080108011 (Monday - Friday : 8am - 4pm Saturday - Sunday : CLOSED)

Email: samsungmemory@hanaro.eu

0 Likes
Sandman
Student
Options

Hi,

thank you - I have emailed them.

In the meantime I was able to use the stand-alone Data Transfer app. It still did not see the EVO 850 as anything but an exterior Samsung SSD, but was happy to do the Clone.

I also read elsewhere that the EVO 850 usually likes more power than the standard USB socket supplies - I had a USB 2.0 exterior drive shell with a 2 x USB male at the other end - plugging into two USB sockets allowed the Computer to "see" that it was an EVO 850, but Magician still would not see it as an acceptable SSD with correct S/N.

However using the regular app, I now have the EVO in the laptop, & now Magician can see it as an EVO 850 with a correct S/N. So i think Samsung needs to do some work on the Magician Software!

Ulmo2112
Student
Options

My thought...

PROs - The app's interface looks good: the functions on the side bar look super useful and accessible, and most importantly, straightforward (e.g. the "secure erase" function that's very well identified, instead of meandering through vague menu commands like format, wipe or whatnot, when one wants to fresh reinstall a system for instance, or just "renew" its SSD and wipe it clean before selling it to someone else etc.)

CONs - As I wrote, it LOOKS super useful, but it stops there : it doesn't recognize my SAMSUNG EVO 850, while on the other hand, a third party like the free Mini-Tools Partition Wizard have no problem detecting and managing samsung's drives (however, I prefer Magician's interface)... It looks like SAMSUNG hate themselves so much, that they sabotage their tool so that it cannot detect their own SAMSUNG drives where everyone else can (and allow to still manage them, even if some SN nb. is supposedly erroneous or unavailable - which seems to be the case with all EVO 850 SSD, maybe along other models idk).

Hence, this is NOT a s security measure, since any other tool would work: it's rather a failed attempt to make it as such that their software can exclusively handle SAMSUNG products. And then less as we can see: it's not "security", it's useless and counterproductive control-freakinish...

LMAO, people are so weird Or ill-advised sometimes...

0 Likes
Ulmo2112
Student
Options

Sorry, but as Samsung's clients, contacting your business partners is none of our business: the software has your name on it, published by SAMSUNG, hence it's YOUR responsibility of either accepting that you make utter crappy software (which seems to be much too frequent with many hardware manufacturer, via some very odd socioeconomic mentality for such flaw to be accepted), either dealing with your partners adequately or chose them better (it's your branding image that's involved, hence it's YOUR problem to solve). On our side, we just have to lose time in seeking another software, which adds up to the price in the end as time is money...

0 Likes