Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Magician 6.3.0 crashes upon opening

(Topic created on: 21-03-2021 12:55 PM)
DaveL3
Apprentice
Options

I upgraded to version 6.3.0 a few days ago.  It appeared to install with no problem.  Once I opened the application I received a dialog box over the main display saying "Magician as encountered an error and cannot continue.  Press "OK" to launch the application again, or "Cancel" to quit the application."

Clicking "OK" only produces the same error.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times...no change in result.

The last entry in the Samsung log file reads:  "19-03-2021 12:45:29 ERROR BFIT COL::ReadFeatureUsageFromFile 1097 Failed to read data from file: 0x2"

I have three Samsung SSD's in this PC:   an 830 Series,  an 850 EVO 250GB, and  a 860 EVO 1TB

I don't get the sense that the problem is with any of the SSD's, but rather the Samsung Magician Software.

My OS:   Windows 8.1

Any help is appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Looks like a new program incompatibility with W8.1, it's working okay with W10 20H2 after the same update. I don't suppose you have a backup to roll back to with the last working version? I use Acronis True Image for that. There's no real need to update the Magician when it says to if your drives are being detected okay and the program works (normally) unless they post about a security risk fix in the changelog
0 Likes
DaveL3
Apprentice
Options

Regretfully, I don't have a backup.  I'm used to seeing multiple versions of software for download - no such luck with Samsung Magician.  Is there any way to get a legitimate older version of the software? 

I can provide the entire Samsung Magician log if that would help in any way diagnose where the incompatibility lies.

Thanks for your response,

Dave

0 Likes
Solution
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
DaveL3
Apprentice
Options

Thank you - this version worked perfectly.  I hated the thought of not having the Magician software on my PC...now I don't have to think about that.  I guess I'll be building a new machine before updating my Samsung Magician software!  Thanks again.

antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
yeah I would stick with W8.1 as long as you can. W10 is annoying as hell even tamed with O&O ShutUp10 to turn off telemetry and ads. Every update it needs running again to disable telemetry the updates turn back on
DaveL3
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the advice.  My W8.1 pc has been rock solid and building a new W10 machine would be fun, but just not necessary for another year or two.  I also researched the O&O ShutUp10 software you mentioned - it's gotten some very positive reviews.  Since I live primarily on my W8.1 machine, I hadn't heard of it.   Thanks for the tip.

0 Likes
yoavain
Student
Options

It's not a W8.1 issue. Happens on Win 10 20H2

DaveL3
Apprentice
Options

I have the log file from the crash.  Crash is consistent upon opening Samsung Magician Software.  That is, the application crashes in the same spot with the same log error message:  "19-03-2021 12:45:29 ERROR BFIT COL::ReadFeatureUsageFromFile 1097 Failed to read data from file: 0x2". 

Thus, if anyone at Samsung wants to fix the software bug, I can provide them with my error log should they need/want it.

Thanks yoavain, that is interesting that it's not just my old windows 8.1 that is the problem - either way the Samsung Magician version 6.2.1 (link provided by antikythera above) worked fine for me (I'm set as long as I don't want to move to version 6.3.0 at some point!).

yoavain
Student
Options

Thanks. i already reinstalled 6.2.1

0 Likes