Samsung Galaxy Book S - Can't Activate Windows

(Topic created on: 15-03-2021 09:58 AM)
Marek Lazar
Apprentice
Options

Hi 

Just purchased new Samsung Galaxy Book S but cannot activate windows 10

I am getting this error message:

"We cant activate Windows on this device because the product key was already used on another device. If you think it wasn't used on another device select Troubleshoot below. Error code 0xC004C020"

Please advise

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
So what does it say when you click troubleshoot and go through the steps
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
You shouldn't need to activate Windows, it should be activated with an OEM code in an EFI capsule.
0 Likes
Marek Lazar
Apprentice
Options

When i click troubleshoot i get this message:

"Troubleshooting has completed

Something interrupted our troubleshooting. Make sure that you're connected to the Internet, wait few minutes, and try again. (0x8007005)

We weren't able to activate Windows on this device.

Contact Support to get help.

You can activate this device by going to the Store and purchasing a genuine copy of Windows.

Go to store."

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
contact Samsung support about that, you shouldn't get that error on a brand new device supplied with Windows. Are you sure it's a genuine Galaxy S Book anyway? Where did you buy it from?
0 Likes
Marek Lazar
Apprentice
Options

Yes it is! 

Recovery did not help as well 

0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

0xC004C020 means that the license has already been used for another device.

Did you get the device as new and did you start having that thing come up since first boot? Or did you try to update to like 10 pro and got a cheap key online?

Archer
0 Likes
Solution
Marek Lazar
Apprentice
Options

Bought the genuine device brand new and sealed from Samsung official retailer.

Had this problem since the first use..

Contacted Microsoft through this link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-help-with-windows-activation-errors-09d8fb64-6768-48...

and after 3 minutes my windows was activated over the phone.

Case closed.

0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

Do the following:

Look at your windows version now (10 home or 10 pro)

After that run this command in an elevated command prompt:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

this will spit out the original key associated to your device. DO NOT TELL THAT TO ANYONE EXCEPT MICROSOFT SUPPORT.

Then run this command:  slmgr /dlv

It will open up a window called windows script host. From there you will need to tell us the voice called Product key channel (the voice before installation ID) it is usually a 4 letter code. Does it say GVLK as such code?

Then you need to look at the Partial product key voice (the one after Id installation) does it have something in common with the key associated to your device? (are the 5 numbers or letter the same as a block of 5 of your original key?)

If not and if it says GVLK as channel of the product key it means that the device was activated via a fake KMS server. SO you need to do the following: run a command prompt with this written slmgr.vbs /upk <the partial key code you found in previous step>

At this point you will have uninstalled the fake KMS activation, try to go into windows activation again and type the original device key. If it does not work it means that either the key was used or you are running a different key for your version (pro key on home and vice versa).

At that point you need to call microsoft support and explain the issue, they will ask for your key and you have to tell them the key and they will be able to tell you whether the key was used or if it is for another version of windows.

Let me know ASAP

Archer
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

Shoot I wrote 10 minutes worth of reply while you replied you solved XD

It looks like that you got a deactivated key for some reason

Archer
0 Likes