Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 2 Evo 12th Gen i7 1260p bios boot times are longer than i5 11th Gen

(Topic created on: 09-05-2022 11:32 AM)
Options

I still have not received any response from either Intel or Samsung UK (Email to the CEO) in response to my question why does it take 12-13 seconds for my new Samsung Galaxy Pro 2 360 13 inch with 12th Gen i7-1260p to boot when my six month old Samsung Galaxy pro 360 i5 11th Gen boots in 6 seconds. Windows 11 pro in both machines.

The Laptops have identical set-ups and are running the same number of apps (Most Samsung apps removed) and all normal other actions taken to reduce boot load (ie start ups minimised, fast boot in on, background running apps switched off, visualisation switched off, Edge switched off at Windows login in GP edit, etc) Both are fully updated.

Surely someone in Intel or Samsung must have an answer.

Here are some of my thoughts -

1. The additional layers of security on Intel Evo i7 12th Gen result in extra checks at bios boot.

2. All the Intel add on apps (Intel connectivity, IO, Components, etc, etc, slow down the processor.

3. Do Microsoft, Intel and Samsung controllers all interact ?. For example three systems trying to make my WiFi connection better.

4. Also I have asked the question - Is Bios update PO7VAB the latest update for the EVO 12th Gen i7-1260P and is there a Intel update site (Other than the normal Graphics drivers site) but received no replies.

Intel or Samsung, please advise

Regards Bob (UK)

On 8th May 2022 an Intel advisor replied -

These are all questions for Samsung to answer. It is their laptop design and, most importantly, their BIOS implementation.

...S

4 REPLIES 4
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
What storage is in each (device name from device manager)? Also what speed RAM and finally what exact 11th gen processor is in the older model? Just because the newer one is 12th gen it may be a far lower specification processor. There's all manner of different processors covered by the terms 11th gen and 12th gen.
Options

Unfortunately the Intel Evo i7 1260p 12th Gen with 16 GB ram and 512 GB ssd should out perform the Intel EVO i5 11th Gen 1130G7 with 8GB Ram and 256 ssd but it does not.

A more detailed comparison also confirms that the i7 1260p has more of everything.

Ram specs are even better.

I still await an explanation from Samsung. 

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Well I can't help as you didn't answer me with the details of the SSD drives. Boot speeds and drive access have nothing to do with their capacity or how much RAM is installed. It's to do with the data read/write speeds the drives are meant to provide as well. Also bear in mind the RAM module(s) may be 1R x16 now instead of 2R x8 which was faster due to the global chip shortage. The RAM performance hit is 10-20% down for 1R x16 modules compared to 2R x8.
0 Likes
jeeeves
First Poster
Options

Dear Bob,

I just bought a Galaxy Book 2 pro, with i7 and Intel gen 12 processor.

I can confirm that like you the boot time is a bit of a joke.  I  mean unacceptable.

Obviously there is a cold and warm windows 11 boot but either takes a ridiculously long time.  As done return from Hibernation.

The Samsung logo on the screen paints one line at a time,  is it  just a noob printf("SAMSUNG\n); sleep 1; or something ridiculous!

I've checked the BIOS and  there is no /Fast Boot/ option.

I am using UEFI booting to a UEFI compliant OS etc

Resume from a Hibernation or cold boot state is a critical factor.

One might also ask the question why don't you just sleep the laptop.

Well under windows 11 pro  (Gold code, ie.. production not beta) when you sleep the laptop and close the lid the fan starts and stop every 10 seconds meaning that you can't use sleep mode.

So only regular (fast shutdown) and hibernation are practical.

Like you I am not happy.

(Oh and my SSD is running at over 5000 MB/second so please somebody don't give me that as an excuse)

0 Likes