Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung G7 Odyssey Black Screen

(Topic created on: 18-01-2021 01:58 AM)
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

So my 27" G7 seems to be having an issue where the screen will go black randomly and seemingly for no reason, IT DOESNT FLICKER, it goes black and stays black (backlight still on, OSD unavailable). The ONLY way I have found to solve the issue is to hold the power button down for 5-6 seconds which seemingly resets the monitor as all my settings are then lost (or turning it off and back on by unplugging the power).

I have only noticed the screen going black when gaming or watching Youtube 😕

I really hope there is a fix out there as I dont want to have to go through the hassle of sending it back and then waiting for a replacement, especially when Samsung Customer Support have already told me this can take 2 weeks total (out of stock atm so god knows how long it would actually take). I am also working from home due to lockdown and its my only monitor currently. If there isnt a fix and my only option is to send it back, I will likely just refund and find another monitor, which I dont want to do either as I really like this one (when it works lol).

I am running an older build PC (6700k, GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM) so dont know if this maybe has something to do with it? I have a new build sat next to me but waiting for a 3080 so unfortunately I cant test my theory.

So far I have tried:

• Praying to Lord Gaben
  • 2 different DP cables
  • HDMI
  • All Ports
  • Firmware is updated
  • Nvidia Drivers are up to date
  • Windows is up to date
  • Monitor drivers are installed
  • Adaptive Sync Off
  • Fully resetting the monitor, uninstalling drivers etc.
  • HDR is not turned on (not available on my GPU anyway)
  • As I am writing this I have found out about a firmware update for my GPU that supposedly solves an issue on my GPU with DisplayPort 1.3/1.4, I havent tested this yet. - Although I did also try changing the DP version on the Monitor to 1.2 with no luck. **UPDATE - Didnt work!

Thanks in advance to anyone that gives me advice or anything else to try that I may have missed.

36 REPLIES 36
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

Update: The GPU firmware update didnt work, I still got a black screen watching Youtube 😞

0 Likes
Michalis1986
First Poster
Options

Hello there. I have exactly the same problem.. do you have found any solution or we have to return the monitor back?

Thank you

0 Likes
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options
i didnt find a solution. However I finished building a new PC and the issue has stopped, now I get some flickering but it happens rare enough that I am holding out and hoping a future firmware update may fix this.
0 Likes
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

@MBRenegade 

hello

what's the monitor current firmware version again? 😉

downloadables

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options
0 Likes
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

@MBRenegade 

thanks, 

we can't update further as the latest FW is 1009.3 already

please contact retailer to arrange replacement

if declined, contact Samsung support to arrange warranty repair

stay safe😉🆗

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

OK guys - I finally have had my monitor "repaired".

It seems all they have done is update my firmware, but it is to version 1010.3 - which according to my small amount of research is not yet released.

Before this fix I had found ways to reliably make the monitor black screen, all of these ways have been fixed so I can only assume the issue is now fixed.

If you have issues it may be worth contacting Samsung and getting hold of this firmware - personally I am pissed that I had to send the monitor for repair and not have Samsung send me the firmware to try first as it meant I had to take a week off work unpaid (no holiday left) as I am working from home due to lockdown.

0 Likes
JustinEmpire
Student
Options

I believe it may have something to do with the Timer plus which is located in the monitors System menu "Off Timer Plus"  This must be set to Off to prevent the monitor from switching itself off.

0 Likes
wlaziu
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue with my 27' G7 monitor. Screen going black and not recovering (or recovering - read below).

How to reproduce the problem:
My setup: FW 1009.3, model rev. FB01, factory included DP cable, Radeon 6900XT with latest drivers, 2560x1440 res., Windows 10 20H2 x64
1) Set monitor to 240Hz mode or 240Hz Freesync with VRR Control On;
2) Use Microsoft Edge to watch the following HDR demo on YT: Morocco 8K HDR 60FPS (FUHD) - YouTube, there is a scene at 2:44-2:50 where the screen glitches out and turns black.
3) Play the video in 1440p Fullscreen for a while to make sure it buffers correct quality then loop a few times the 2:44-2:50 scene (you can use youtube looper extension to automate). It will glitch after 5-10 loops through that scene.

Why Edge? Somehow it provides the most fluid playback (and very good web stream HDR support) that triggers the monitor. I was able to glitch out using Firefox too but it took way more loops.

Now what I have found out:

- Lowering refresh rate to 144Hz using monitor OSD and Freesync "Off" : No issues - plays correct.
- Selecting Freesync "On" and lowering to 144Hz in OS: No issues - plays correct.
- Selecting Freesync "On" and 240Hz in OS: Black screens - but recovers after a second.
- Selecting 240Hz and Freesync "Off": Black screens - no recovery.
- Lowering refresh rate using Windows but leaving 240Hz in OSD and Freesync "Off": Black screens - no recovery.
- Selecting VRR control "On": Black screens - no recovery (at any refresh rate).

Things that do not make difference:
- SDR or HDR, 8bit or 10 bit, RGB or YCbCr, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 (display port output encoding is irrelevant)
- Using different ports on monitor or GPU
- Local Dimming, low input lag and other monitor settings

Additional observations:
- After screen blacks out Local Dimming still works and reacts to the movie being played;
- Faint scanlines are visible during scenes where screen tends to black out;
- It appears that if a lot of green textured content is moving slowly across the screen at high FPS (scrolling slowly over grass in RTS game like Age of Empires, going through forest in Minecraft) it glitches out.

Should I warranty the monitor or live with 144Hz? 240Hz Freesync "on" flickers without VRR

UPDATE: After further testing the glitching does not happen when monitor is cool or just started working. It starts to get problems after full warm-up (like one hour into the use).

0 Likes