Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung G7 Odyssey Black Screen

(Topic created on: 15-04-2021 05:20 PM)
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

So my 27" G7 seems to be having an issue where the screen will go black randomly and seemingly for no reason, IT DOESNT FLICKER, it goes black and stays black (backlight still on, OSD unavailable). The ONLY way I have found to solve the issue is to hold the power button down for 5-6 seconds which seemingly resets the monitor as all my settings are then lost (or turning it off and back on by unplugging the power).

I have only noticed the screen going black when gaming or watching Youtube 😕

I really hope there is a fix out there as I dont want to have to go through the hassle of sending it back and then waiting for a replacement, especially when Samsung Customer Support have already told me this can take 2 weeks total (out of stock atm so god knows how long it would actually take). I am also working from home due to lockdown and its my only monitor currently. If there isnt a fix and my only option is to send it back, I will likely just refund and find another monitor, which I dont want to do either as I really like this one (when it works lol).

I am running an older build PC (6700k, GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM) so dont know if this maybe has something to do with it? I have a new build sat next to me but waiting for a 3080 so unfortunately I cant test my theory.

So far I have tried:

• Praying to Lord Gaben
  • 2 different DP cables
  • HDMI
  • All Ports
  • Firmware is updated
  • Nvidia Drivers are up to date
  • Windows is up to date
  • Monitor drivers are installed
  • Adaptive Sync Off
  • Fully resetting the monitor, uninstalling drivers etc.
  • HDR is not turned on (not available on my GPU anyway)
  • As I am writing this I have found out about a firmware update for my GPU that supposedly solves an issue on my GPU with DisplayPort 1.3/1.4, I havent tested this yet. - Although I did also try changing the DP version on the Monitor to 1.2 with no luck. **UPDATE - Didnt work!

Thanks in advance to anyone that gives me advice or anything else to try that I may have missed.

36 REPLIES 36
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

It sounds like you have the same issue I have, or very very similar. And that you have tried the same steps I did, and came to the same conclusions and observations when carrying out your own testing.
I found the most reliable way to replicate the issue is in the game Valorant.
Map: Split
Bombsite: A
Stand close to and look at the blue screen in the site. Screen will turn black, look away from the screen, monitor stops glitching.
I eventually found ways to replicate the problem and the screen just flickers black when certain things are on screen.
I do have a question/test for you though! I found that the monitor works flawlessly UNTIL it gets warm. Try replicate the issue when the monitor has been turned off and cooled down and let me know if it stops the problem. 

I have sent my monitor off for repair twice now (First time was just a firmware update, second was a mainboard switch). Samsung have been disgustingly bad with customer service, talking to them on the phone is like talking to a brick wall.
I am extremely disappointed that for such an expensive monitor, how many issues this particular model seems to have.

I have demanded a refund at this point with threats of reporting them to the trading standards as they have sold me a monitor that is unfit for service and keep saying the only option is another repair.

Honestly my advice to you is, either (if you have the money) buy a new G7 and return the original for a full refund, test it and if it had the same issues send it back and move on, or just get rid and move on. If you hit day 30 they will outright refuse to refund or replace and will instead insist it has to go for a repair.

Its a shame because the monitor is completely fine in 144hz but I bought it for the higher refresh rate and unless Samsung offer me a partial refund (probably more chance of winning the lottery) I want my money back and to return the monitor at this point.

0 Likes
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

Its a little long as I discovered this whilst having to get proof of the fault for Samsung and was still trying things but I have a video of the issue here: 

wlaziu
Journeyman
Options

I will check out the game later. As far as heat goes it starts glitching after a while, so that is a possibility. Maybe pointing a table fan on vents will help? First I will see if it exhibits the same problem on radeon.

BTW. Does your screen do that when in "eye saver mode"? I noticed that in this mode scanlines do not appear. As for warranty I'm in 🇪🇺 so different laws apply. I will experiment with custom resolution later. Maybe dialing down (or overclocking) to 220-230hz will resolve the issue. 

0 Likes
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

You might just be a genius - I just underclocked the Refresh Rate to 220hz (Using Nvidia Control Panel) and it doesnt glitch! I will keep testing this.

I will try eye saver mode as I haven't done so already.

0 Likes
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

Eye Saver mode also stops the problem!
Now I wanna know if I can counter this tint a bit and still have it work.
It would also be nice if I could customise the variable refresh rate and limit it to 220hz!

0 Likes
wlaziu
Journeyman
Options

For sure the latter is possible. To add a custom resolution/refresh rate to Windows You need a 3rd party app called CRU "Custom resolution utility". It edits monitor reported EDID data. Then just select freesync (adaptive sync) "on" in OSD and the created refresh rate from windows display settings. 

Just be careful because if you add & apply wrong settings without proper testing, the monitor will go out of range and it's a pita to reset via safe mode.

0 Likes
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

I tried CRU but either I did something wrong or just couldnt get it to work, With adaptive sync on no matter the refresh rate I chose (Even after editing in CRU) I got the issue.

However on the Under/Overclocking of refresh rate using custom resolutions in Nvidia Control Panel I have so far tested:

220hz - So far works fine!
230hz - Could still create the issue in my test spot but was noticeably more difficult
235hz -Didn't make a difference
239hz - Didn't make a difference, which was to be expected.
240hz - Default, obviously broken.
243hz - No difference, easy to recreate the issue. - Even caused the screen to stick on the black screen
244hz - No difference, easy to recreate the issue. - Even caused the screen to stick on the black screen
245hz - So far seems as stable as 220hz!!
250hz - Same as above!

EDIT! -
 I just realised I had VRR on the entire time. All these tests were done with it enabled!

0 Likes
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

Was just retesting Eye Saver - I now have the same issue at standard 240hz mode with eye saver on! My Screen has warmed up a bit now too, but my previous tests in the post above are still correct.

EDIT! - I just realised I had VRR on for the most recent test of this, maybe eye saver only fixes it when VRR is disabled.

0 Likes
wlaziu
Journeyman
Options

Overclocking the display above 240 Hz might be pointless if you plan to use freesync. The varying refresh rate will pass thru "240Hz glitch range". It is possible there is another glitch range down lower causing freesync to glitch. Information page in OSD is very useful to see at what frequency monitor is at any given time in freesync.

As for VRR in my case enabling it glitches at any refresh rate. It also makes scanline problem worse. 

0 Likes
MBRenegade
Journeyman
Options

That is a good attempt at fixing the issue and knowing it is a heat issue is good info to feedback to Samsung. It is a shame your fix didn't work! And pretty insane that us as consumers are even trying to troubleshoot and fix such an issue!! It is also a shame Samsung would never listen to us and nothing will be done to fix this issue from the factory.
If my monitor must go back for a 3rd repair (I might lose my mind if it does) I will pass this info, and probably a link to this post, onto the repair company directly and see if they have any other ideas.

If I don't turn the heating on in my house it stays around 15c in my PC room, so the monitor is getting hot enough on its own to cause this issue and it needs to be resolved by Samsung.

I played some Valorant yesterday and got no glitching, I left my Refresh Rate at 245hz with variable refresh rate on and noticed no glitching, maybe I got lucky in that the refresh rate didn't drop into the danger zone though.

0 Likes