Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Data Migration tool crashing on Windows 10 2004

(Topic created on: 15-10-2020 07:26 PM)
Union
First Poster
Options

Anyone had similar errors? The tool does not start at all, each time generates this error to event log:

Faulting application name: Data Migration.exe, version: 4.0.0.11, time stamp: 0x5e8d228f
Faulting module name: SSDInfo.dll, version: 1.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x5e1d5ccf
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0014d937
Faulting process id: 0x24ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d64d8e64de1ded
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Data Migration\Data Migration.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Data Migration\SSDInfo.dll
Report Id: 050e6777-ee3b-4623-b8de-5ffa76d0e5d7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
Union
First Poster
Options

after some more testing i concluded that the issue is with "UGREEN M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure USB C External PCIe M2 SSD Caddy" (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NNL8VGB) when it is plugged to PC Samsung Data Migration tool crashes. Will investigate futher

0 Likes
larry57
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same issue using any of my two USB-Sata interface.

When I run Data Migration with my USB-Sata plugged in, it simply wont start.

When I run Data Migration with my USB-Sata unplugged, it start, but exits as soon I hit Refresh after having plugged in my USB-Sata interface!

What the f***?

0 Likes
m_n_
First Poster
Options

Please check the chip of your USB-NVMe M.2 SSD enclosure/case. I saw information that Samsung Data Migration 4.0 works with JMicron JM583 but doesn't work with ASMedia ASM2362. (Not sure the issue exists in the software or Samsung NVMe Driver or another, though)

I hope somebody already resported the issue to Samsung and they started to work to fix it... 

0 Likes
kakaiba
First Poster
Options

I had a similar issue. Data Migration keeps on crashing ~20 seconds in. After several trial and errors, I found out that disabling BitLocker solves it. I was able to clone my System to the new 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD.

sa4hire
First Poster
Options

Yes, I have the ROG Strix Arion SSD Enclosure and Data Migration 4.0 does not open if I have it plugged in or crashes if I plug it in and refresh.  It appears it is also using the ASMedia ASM2362 chip.

0 Likes
bblank05
First Poster
Options

you need to disable bitlocker. Open PowerShell and run  manage-bde -off C: to decrypt the C drive. While I didn't have bitlocker enabled in the 2004 update it was prompting to activate encryption by default. As soon as I disabled the data started to copy with no crashing

0 Likes
Union
First Poster
Options

It would be great is migration software would be less temperamental. I ended up installing my windows fresh from ISO.

Thank you for providing root cause. I passed this to Samsung Memory Support <samsungmemory@hanaro.eu> to add to development backlog.

0 Likes
H2OSun
First Poster
Options

I can confirm this solution worked. Open BitLocker, disable and then turn off. It will go through Decrypting process (which can be a minute or so depending on your old drive (size and speed). (Also BitLocker does not provide a status bar.)

Once it is decrypted, cloning can be done. Thanks for the tip!

0 Likes
Hotkey
First Poster
Options

I disabled BitLocker but it still continue!

Faulting application name: Data Migration.exe, version: 4.0.0.13, time stamp: 0x5f5038ac
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.546, time stamp: 0xd49544eb
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000e6763
Faulting process id: 0x1868
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6a31e5b73fdf8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Data Migration\Data Migration.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d80a5bf2-2441-4e98-bccc-6b711d4b27f1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

0 Likes