Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 980 Pro Crashes After Latest Firmware Update -- How to Downgrade?

(Topic created on: 08-02-2022 08:15 PM)
connor4312
Student
Options

I updated the firmware on my 980 Pro 2TBa couple weeks ago, to version 5B2QGXA7. Ever since then, I've noticed my computer stop responding after a few days. Programs stop working and I can't open anything, even task manager. Today I finally caught the issue after just keeping Task Manager open all the time -- busy time on the 980 hits 100%, although there is no data being read/written: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLGZSOtVQAAuTF8?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Diagnostics in Magician, including SMART metrics and the Diagnostic Scan, don't turn up any issues. Overprovisioning is set to 10%, and performance optimization is set to Power Saving. About 0.5TB of space is used, and the drive is not encrypted.

Is there any way to downgrade the firmware on this drive? Or do I warranty it and hope I get a drive with older firmware?

3 REPLIES 3
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Which OS are you running? If W11 rather than W10 make sure you apply today's monthly update. That's meant to fix a known issue with W11 that causes this behaviour on nvme and SSD drives. I doubt you can downgrade the firmware though.
0 Likes
connor4312
Student
Options

I'm still on Windows 10, version 21H2 (build 19044.1503).

0 Likes
dexterxlr8
Student
Options

I have 2 EVO 980 PROs, and they're both causing me the BSOD (with this error : WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR) when I install games on them.

So I tried installing the games on my EVO 860 and it's working just fine.

Any solutions ? or reasons for why is this happening ?

My setup :
MOBO : Asus B550 M-K

CPU : R5 5600

GPU : MSI GTX 970

RAM : 3x Corsair DOMINATOR 8GB 3600Mhz

PSU : ThermalTake litepower 650W

0 Likes