Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB low speed when pc is cold.

(Topic created on: 09-06-2022 11:26 PM)
Shayan_rez
First Poster
Options

Tuf b560m-e

i5 10400

https://m.imgur.com/a/DH5LzMV 

Left first boot without staying in bios so windows booted before pc got warm 800mb/s. Right after restart or staying in bios before booting so windows booted after pc got warm 3.5gb/s.

Basically my pc needs to be at least 20 seconds on and warm before I boot to windows otherwise I get low speed. 

Is there anything wrong with the ssd? Do I need to be worried about anything? As long as the performance doesn't decrease overtime I'm fine with 800mb/s and if I need more speed I'll just restart. But if it decrease to 200mb/s over a few years then I'm not ok with that.
Isn't there a fix instead of just restarting or staying in bios?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Are you running the latest BIOS for the board, chipset drivers and firmware for the Evo Plus? I have two of those in my Legion 7 and don't have that odd issue
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
I think your barking up the wrong tree thinking it's heat related, how full is the drive? How old is it, do you have a ridiculous amount of startup programs running.

Do you have the latest firmwares, updates and bios.

If it was only heat related the drive would speed up the longer the computer is turned on which I assume it does not with what you wrote.

If you boot up straight away and speed test the drive, then without restarting speed test again in 30min what are the results?
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Heat has the opposite affect on nvme drives, the hotter they get the more likely they are to throttle. They need to be kept cool. I suspect something else too here.
Shayan_rez
First Poster
Options

If it's not heat related then why staying in bios for 20secs before booting helps?

No mather how many hours I wait if windows already booted with cold pc I will get low speed. If I restart or shut down completely and turn it on before it gets cold I'll get good spead.

0 Likes
Shayan_rez
First Poster
Options

It's not about ssd throttling it's about windows booting when ssd cold. If you check this thread there are some answers there. but no one said it's gonna or not gonna be trouble in future also no fixes.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/have-to-restart-my-pc-for-ssd-to-run-at-advertised-speed.371...

0 Likes
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
So what is the speed difference when you turn it on from cold and leave it for 30min and test speed again without restarting the PC?

The answer to that question will give you the answer if it's heat or software/firmware/compatibility related.

I'd be very surprised if its not software/firmware/compatability related.

Also what motherboard you got and "have you updated the ssd" if you have updated it did your computer do the same thing previously?
0 Likes
Shayan_rez
First Poster
Options

No difference. I get different results when WINDOWS BOOTED when pc is WARM. It's about booting not staying on. Whole pc is new. Everything is updated. Asus TUF B560-ME

0 Likes
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
Send it back then as its not right, you should be getting the supplier of the equipment to deal with the issue.