Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD - AHCI deactivated help please

(Topic created on: 01-04-2021 07:13 AM)
Cologeno
Student
Options

Hi,

So I built a new computer this year. But I took my old SSD disk from my old PC, a Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD with driver version EXT0DB6Q.

In the Samsung Magician app under "driver details" it says that my hard drive isn't activated with AHCI mode.

I checked in bios and AHCI looks like its "on" in there though..

But i'm not sure if its really on.. I think it was "faster" on my older rig with Win 7.

My system specs now:

OS Win 10 Professional 64 bit

Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

I also bought a new SSD disk:

Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 250GB

I'm wondering though, in the magician app. It says under "driver details" that  the NVMe driver is "Microsoft", is this correct? Is there any other driver for it, maybe one that works better from Samsung perhaps?

If so how do I install it, because I havn't found any driver on the samsung site?

Kind regards,

Cologeno

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
The nvme driver is correct, Samsung have not created one for the 980 Pro. Download and install the latest driver set from AMD for the B550 chipset if you have not already from support.amd.com (not the RAID drivers)
0 Likes
Cologeno
Student
Options

Hi,

I did install the latest chipset driver but it still says, "AHCI deacivated" in the Samsung Magician application. I dont know, could it be acivated though? I mean in bios it's "on"..

May I ask also about the performance on my "980 pro 250gb".

Is this result normal/good or bad? Why does it write "2652", shouldn't it be more like the "Read" result?

Regards,

Cologeno

980 pro.png

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
The 250GB version is rated for the speeds you are already getting so ignore the AHCI warning for now but feed it back to Samsung technical support because they will need to improve detection. Click show more specs on this page: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/980pro/

Also, check for motherboard firmware updates and apply the latest one if yours is out of date. With Ryzen systems it pays to stay current with AGESA builds.
0 Likes
Cologeno
Student
Options

Thank you for the link, I didn't know that about the 250 gb version of 980 Pro, that clear things up 🙂

About my "Samsung 840 Evo 250 gb SSD", where I have the "AHCI deactivated" problem. How do I get in contact with Samsung technical support about that? I haven't found any email adress..

I also did install the latest BIOS firmware for my motherboard. Unfortunately it didn't solve the "AHCI deactivated" problem though.

Thanks for all your help mate!

Regards,

Cologeno 

0 Likes