Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsing SSD 970 EVO Plus Running Hot

(Topic created on: 16-10-2020 08:37 PM)
Marc100
Journeyman
Options

My Dell XPS 13 9350 laptop was delivered new in 2016 and was fitted with a Samsung SSD PM 951 NVMe 1Tb.  Idling speed of this drive was around 45 to 50C.  Under load - video editing for example, the temperature varied from 55 to 60C.

Two months ago I replaced the PM 951 with a Samsung SSD  970 EVO Plus NVMe 2Tb.  This drive idles around 55 to 60 C.  Under load it rises to 65to 70C.

While running Samsung Magician performance benchmark just now it rose to 76C.

Is this normal?  Does Samsung consider this to be acceptable given that Magician says "too high"?

82 REPLIES 82
mahmoud1994
First Poster
Options

i have the same issue, heat sink is needed it will drop 20C of temp to get max 55 under load

FREEMaaN
Student
Options

Hi Marc, I did not accept the RMA. Actually I have not respoded them ever since they offered me this.

(Sorry for the relatively late answer)

Anyway,

I continue to use the same SSD, but I managed to make things better in a "DIY way":

I used a self-made cooler/heatsing or maybe rather it's better to name it a thermal conductor, a copper plate which I glued to my computer's metal cover. It connects the SSD to it and the heat is being dispersed.

The copper plate (to the right, about 0,5 mm thick I think)

The temps:

Does not go over 63 Celsius under heavy load;

About 55 at idle.

Today's temperatures screenshot

I hope as 200 hours pass, the temperatures will be even better, when the compund does its thing...

Maniac9978
First Poster
Options

I know this is a bit old but I wanted to mention that it's against the law for a company to void your warranty simply for removing the warranty sticker. Companies will usually tell you that it will void your warranty but if you present them with the evidence they will (usually) back down.

Lookup the  Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Here are a few other articles about it as well:

https://www.ifixit.com/News/10016/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/reminder-removing-void-if-removed-stickers-doesnt-void-your-warranty/

Marc100
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the info FREEMaaN.  My Evo 970 is in a laptop and there is not enough room for any form of heatsink so I will just have to live with it.

Master_of_Doom
First Poster
Options

I installed my 970 evo plus 1tb on my razer blade pro 17(2019), as a secondary drive(games), and my idle temps are between 48-50c, under load (downloading doom eternal & metro exodus) are between 60-65c, but if i put a laptop cooler (cooler master cf-17), the temps under low go between 60-62c (ambient temp 26c- summer). I know its not much but at least you get far from the 70c limit.

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Hello All,

I too build computers and would like to mention that the critical temp is 85c for the EVO 970 PLUS NVME SSD.  As mentioned above these drives do get much hotter than SATA SSD for all the reasons posted. That said, they are super-fast in comparison and the price is reasonable. I still use two SATA drives for Backup and System Image.

I keep an independent 250mm fan plugged into a chassis 3 pin connector. The fan is always spinning at 750 RPM. I have this over the 970 partially resting on the end of the PSU and on the end of my 1070 Ti GPU. It fits just right without screws. The fan is drawing the heat away from the 970 SSD and the GPU and pushes it out the grill on the side of my mid tower case.  If you can fit a chassis fan into the case it's worth it, especially over the top of the SSD.

My idle temps:  idle 45c  load: 50 to 60c

I am currently running a System Backup while I type this information. I want the 970 to generate some heat during this process. Here is real-time temp during this process.

970 EVO NVME.JPG

0 Likes
Randykates
Student
Options

i put a brand new 970 Evo Plus into a USB tray to migrate over and the M.2 Drive got so hot that it could have caught a piece of paper on fire in less than 2 minutes.   Anyone else have this issue?

Marc100
Journeyman
Options

Randykates,

Yes, I had the same experience when I was cloning the original disk to the 970 Evo Plus.

0 Likes
Randykates
Student
Options

Does anyone have a retail product they can recommend to cool off the SSD drive? I’m building a new computer with a Fractal Mesh2 Minitower case using an AZUS Z490-A.  I’m going to water cool an Intel i7-10700K processor and install at least 3 (maybe 6) 140mm fans inside the case but I would like a heat sink or small fan dedicated for the M.2’s as the one Evo Plus SSD I purchased to test got so hot it Burned my hand grabbing it for just a second.   

any suggestions would be welcomed. 

0 Likes
thewaywardgeek
Journeyman
Options

Have a Dell G7 too installed with this, somehow managed to cool it down to idle 50C-55C, benchmark/under load, 60C-65C, ambient air temp is 25C, in any case what you could do is get a 2mm-3mm Heatsink and the Gelid GP-EXTREME THERMAL PAD, 1.5mm Thermal Pad attached to the Heatsink, 3mm Thermal Pad attached to the board(optional, but preferred). Just make sure mounting of Heatsink to SSD is snug fit, almost no gaps, so heat transfer is good.

I know, a bit extreme, but with no way to cool it off properly in a laptop, had to dissipate heat in less than ideal ways, especially me living in the tropics.

Anyways Heatsink I'm talking about is kind of like this:

https://www.amazon.com/icepc-DIY-Heatsink-Silicone-Thermal-70x20x2mm/dp/B083FK6RPL/

0 Likes