Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

portable blu ray writer Model SE-506, firmware update and windows 10 driver needed

(Topic created on: 30-12-2017 10:35 AM)
alex_74o
First Poster
Options

Dear Sirs,

I have change the operating system of my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

When I connect the portable blu ray writer Model SE-506 via USB I can work with CDs and DVDs. But Blu Ray discs are not being recognized anymore.

It seems that the player is not compatible to Windows 10 at all.

Where can I get a driver for Windows 10 and if needed a firmware update?

Many thanks,

Alex

154 REPLIES 154
asdfkd
Student
Options
This is not a USB 3.0 cable?
0 Likes
marksung
Student
Options

I don’t think it has anything to do necessarily with USB 3.0.  The 3.0 cable others have used probably just provide cleaner or slightly more current. I highly suggest spending the $6 and if it doesn’t work return it.

Try another cable if you already have one. Make sure to plug into a usb 3.0 port instead of 2, quick charge port on some laptops might help too or in the ports at the back of a desktop as they usually provide more amps.

This isn’t Samaungs fault BTW.  USB in my opinion has been a terrible technology riddled with issues. The kind of issues like we’re seeing are common.  USB busses also burn out but not completely and this causes anything drawing more power than a keyboard to work intermittently.  USB power saving has never worked right.

I have high hopes for USB-C.  Seems pretty good ao far.

mikep6dd
Explorer
Options

The connector on the rear of the SE-506 is a 5-pin mini B. I haven't seen anyone selling a USB 3.0 male to 5-pin mini B male cable. They all appear to be USB 2.0. Don't therefore see how anyone can have fitted a USB 3.0 power cable to the SE-506.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Hedgehog
Journeyman
Options

I found two on Amazon.  See links below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00HPK9YLY/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B073CF4MTX/

For what it is worth, I have tried various USB 2.0 combinations, none of which have worked.  This is including the cable *which used to work*.  Yes, that's a reminder that mine did work, for quite a while.  My current theory is that a W10 update has contributed to the issues being experienced by so many and that Samsung just hasn't figured out yet which one (being generous) and how to fix the issue.

I'm so desperate that I'm going to try the 1.5m cable.  I'll provide an update once I've been able to test.

mikep6dd
Explorer
Options

Hedgehog

No, they are both 10-pin mini B male connectors. I don't think they will fit your device.

0 Likes
Hedgehog
Journeyman
Options

@mikep6dd wrote:

No, they are both 10-pin mini B male connectors. I don't think they will fit your device.

mikepódd, yes you are, of course, correct.

The cable I ordered today arrived and is incompatible because the SE-506 uses a five-pin connector.  I've searched more on Amazon and have not yet, sadly, found any USB cables with 5-pin mini B connectors.  The sticking point seems to be the USB 3.0 standard; there seem to be plenty of USB 2.0 A to mini B (5-pin).

There's even an historical record on Amazan of a type-A plug to type b 5-pin mini adaptor, which if was still available, could be connected together Heath-Robinson style, but again, not available.

It's not like such cables don't exist (or haven't existed) here's one.  But there's no immediately obvious way to order (no price displayed) and ordering a single cable all the way from the US to the UK is likely to be somewhat cost inhibitive.

Of course, perhaps Samsung would be able to source sufficient quantities at a reasonable cost to help get all of these currently useless devices working again - once it has been proven conclusively that it would resolve the issue, of course.  How about it, Samsung?

0 Likes
whereisaaron
First Poster
Options

The split cable might work if you have low-powered USB ports, but that is not the Windows 10 issue.

For the Windows 10 issue, I was able to get the SE-506 working on my Windows 10 (1703) workstation. This may or may not work for you, and involves a registry change, so attempt at your own risk!

1) Unplug your SE-506 drive from the computer

2) Backup your files and Windows registry, check your life insurance

3) Open the CMD command prompt with right-click 'Run as administrator'

4) Run this command to add an entry to your registry (or manually add it with regedt32.exe if you like)

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

5) Reboot your computer (DO NOT plug in the SE-506 drive yet)

6) After Windows is fully booted up and you are logged in, plug in your SE-506 and see if it gets detected

If it works, great! If it doesn't work first time, try putting a data or music disk in your drive. Try rebooting one more time. But if no joy then you can use regedt32.exe to delete that added entry.

The source of this idea is here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/my-samsung-blu-ray-player-not-...

Aaron.

0 Likes
Hedgehog
Journeyman
Options

@WomanRising wrote:
I [...] purchased a new cord that was compatible with "USB 3.0".

Would you please help the rest of us out by advising where you purchased the USB 3.0 compatible cable?

Hedgehog.

0 Likes
Hedgehog
Journeyman
Options

@whereisaaron wrote:

The split cable might work if you have low-powered USB ports, but that is not the Windows 10 issue.

For the Windows 10 issue, I was able to get the SE-506 working on my Windows 10 (1703) workstation. This may or may not work for you, and involves a registry change, so attempt at your own risk!

[...]

4) Run this command to add an entry to your registry (or manually add it with regedt32.exe if you like)

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

Sadly my computer falls into the 'may not work' category, resulting in the same experience I reported when I first joined this thread.

I used:

reg.exe delete "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0"

to remove the key.

As I said in my original post, I have previously tried a split cable, which didn't work either.   Also as I said in my first post, the SE-506 did work previously, which appears to be a different experience from some others.  Perhaps worse because I know mine used to work; at least if the device has never worked you could (at least under UK consumer law) return the device as not being 'fit for purpose' - it looks like it may be too late for me, especially as I did not purchase this directly, it was a gift from my wishlist.

Hedgehog

0 Likes
Canadabeach
First Poster
Options

My situation matches Hedgehog Apprentice's exactly except I'm using an Apple iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Memory.  MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C205).  I have 4 - USB 3 ports on the back of the computer and the problem occurs no matter how many devices are plugged into the USB ports or which port I plug the BD player into.

I purchased the drive in June 2016 and it worked great for the past 17 months.  It's only recently been giving me problems.

Mine plays DVDs flawlessly.  BD discs take ~4-5 minutes of churning to load and then it's a crapshoot as to whether it's going to play the disc or give me an error.   I've tried every cable imaginable and it doesn't seem to matter.  I've tried two different Blu-ray player applications [Aiseesoft Mac Blu-Ray and Leawo Blu-Ray Player] and the both produce the same results.

Based on the above symptoms I'm inclined toward driver incompatibility with the most recent OS update being the culprit.  As others have said, you would hope that OEM manufacturers or those who re-brand these products would keep the firmware/drivers up-to-date.  Paid $75 USD for the drive and it's lasted 19 months.  Unfortunately we've come to expect this sort of life expectancy in our throw-away culture.