Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odyssey G7 menu button intermittently not working

(Topic created on: 15-12-2021 01:13 PM)
KEH93
Journeyman
Options

My #Samsung Odyssey G7 is around a year old, and recently it's been giving me problems

The main menu button on the back of the monitor sometimes, seemingly at random, fails to respond. Toggling the joystick left brings up the source menu, and down brings up volume. Left toggle does nothing, and the pressing the main menu button does not being up the menu.

Strangely, when scrolling through available sources, the directional buttons are inverted.

Holding down the menu button to put the monitor on standby (and get rid of the flashing light) also does nothing.

I have to pull the power cord instead, and this seems to reset the monitor and brings back menu functionality for a little while.

The sources that it uses are two HDMI sources (I have to swap cables when I want to use either device) and a Display Port source.

I am hoping to update the firmware to see if this fixes it, but as I am stuck on my work laptop (the Display Port input), I can't use a USB. Since I now can't switch source to my home PC without any kind of control, this will be an issue to update.

The button is not stuck, nor did it receive a bump or knock that may have broken it.

This is a real pain, and I'd rather not have to send my monitor (that I rely on for work and play) off for a few weeks/months if I can fix something on my end.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

43 REPLIES 43
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi
This page maybe helpful

Samsung monitor's image is distorted, ghosted, or flickering

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01110725/
0 Likes
KEH93
Journeyman
Options

Thank you for your reply, but I afraid this is not my issue.

My screen quality is fine and i have never had problems with it, thankfully.

Instead, the issue is with the physical JOG button for the menu (located on the back of the monitor), which repeatedly stops working and turns the menu controls that do still work to inverted.

0 Likes
mholtmanns
Apprentice
Options

Since I have the same issue I did some research on this topic and the safest bet for a long-term solution seems to be an RMA.
The root cause seems to be somewhat "sensitive" electronics in the JOG button board itself that is prone to show this error when it gets to warm. That is why switching the screen off often fixes it for a time.
One other solution I found and which has worked now for me reliably is to hold the JOG in every direction for a longer period of time, say 15-20 seconds. After I have done that for a few or all directions, the normal functionality started to work again. For a while.
Hope that helps someone.

KEH93
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your reply! I'll give this a go.

I did end up sending this monitor off to Samsung for repair, and they replaced the switchboard.

It was sent back, and worked for a few weeks before starting to fail again.

I sent it in for repair again.

This time, the only update I got from RepairTech was that the keyboard had been replaced. This also hasn't fixed the issue.

On to the third repair request, and I asked how many times I need to send in the monitor (for a few weeks to a month) before a replacement would be considered. Short answer; never.

The 'solution' is the keep sending the monitor in. RepairTech will replace some random part and fail to fix it over and over until the warranty expires, and it ceases to be their problem, and I have to buy a new one.

Therefore, I really really hope your solution works!

0 Likes
ahmedalsalman
First Poster
Options

I might know how to solve your problem. what's your graphics card?

0 Likes
KEH93
Journeyman
Options

I was running a Nvidia 970 at the time, but have since upgraded to a 3050 while the monitor is with RepairTech again.

What's your theory? 

0 Likes
pfb201
Pioneer
Options

Already had this repaired once and now it's started misbehaving again. Neither right nor up work any longer and it's probably out of warranty. Can't believe this and I'm loathe to pay for an issue that Samsung and their repair partners know are shoddy parts.

0 Likes
mholtmanns
Apprentice
Options

Hi @pfb201, did you try updating the Firmware? After I updated to M-TG700CCAA-1014.1 I actually had much less problems with the JOG button. And it seems whenever I have the issue of the button not responding in one or more directions, just a little wiggling and maybe pressing upwards will get it into a defined Software state and it starts working again properly.
Another thing I did was remove any heat sources from below the monitor, since it feels to behave much better when it is not too warm. But that is just guessing.

Good luck!

0 Likes
pfb201
Pioneer
Options

Firmware is up to date but updated it again the other day just to be sure. Actually seems worse with the new firmware. It's unusable now as I can't even get into the menu.

I've literally wiggled it in every direction but doesn't go up in menu. It's strange because once you get into the menu it works so I'm really not sure what's going on. Mainboard replacement last time.

0 Likes