Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVMe Driver for 990PRO 2TB not recognized in Magician

(Topic created on: 25-03-2023 01:19 PM)
alexpromak
First Poster
Options

Hello everyone

I installed a 990Pro on my Dell Precision 3571 as secondary disk.

I have updated the PC, bios included, I have updated magician to today's version (7.2.1), and windows is up to date. I tried to install Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3 but during the installation I get the "device not connected" message.

After running a benchmark test I noticed the performance is low (3720MB/s sequential read, 2009MB/s sequential write) Samsung Magician shows me that the driver interface is not identified, I attach a printscreen of magician and the device manager window.. 

How can I install the driver for this disk correctly? can someone help me?

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Members_ptvP1W1
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same issue with a non-pro 980 500 GB used as a secondary storage in my Acer Nitro5 under Win11 and Magician 7.2.1...and additionally it's unable to update the firmware AND usb update doesn't recognise drive at all 😞

Members_ptvP1W1_0-1675278902447.png

Members_ptvP1W1_1-1675279001995.png

0 Likes
plastikfan
First Poster
Options

Same here. Magican like other ssd software like Western Digital's WDDashboard, don't support externally connected devices. However, if you want this functionality, you can just use CrystalDiskInfo, which does work on external devices (although I have not tried this out yet, but have seen youtube videos, indicating so). PS: this is just in relation to run SMART status, not updating the driver.

What you say about not being able to install the driver alarms me somewhat as I have already posted a question about the very issue. I just assumed you could install the driver, without using magician, but I haven't tried this yet. You can download the NVME Driver from https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/. So I assume this would work independently of Magician. I am hoping so because I want to buy a seconds device to connect externally via USB.

So in short, for driver update, forget about Magician, just run the SSD Firmware Update for your device.

I'm surprised that nobody from Samsung has commented on this, afterall, this question has been around for long enough without answers. I'd be interested to hear how you manage, so it would be great for you to post an update.

NB: Samsung do say that the Magician software does not support devices connected via SCSCI controller interface, in the limitations section (in Magician help)

0 Likes
alexpromak
First Poster
Options

Hi plastikfan! my disk is connected internally, i tried on the primary and on the secondary nvme ports. Never externally..

Thanks for the answer anyway..!

0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Check on the Dell's website in case there are updated Nvme or chipset drivers etc to make sure it gets picked up correctly by the pc. Also check in optional updates in windows update sometimes driver updates can be hidden in there. Hope this helps
0 Likes
Members_UZJFKjE
Apprentice
Options

Hello...

I have the same issue with my 990PRO 2TB.

Did you fix it ? If YES, what did you do ?

Members_UZJFKjE
Apprentice
Options

Hello, 

something new?

0 Likes
AveryMeijer
First Poster
Options

I'm having a similar issue, but on top of what you are experiencing the "Classify Files" feature is showing a total of over 16.8 million TB under the 'ETC' catagory. Not sure if it has to do with the 'unknown' driver status and the 'N/A' under interface type. 

0 Likes
Р С
First Poster
Options

Same problem, firmware for ssd 990 pro updated, but the driver, even separately downloaded, is not installed!

0 Likes
annietimg
First Poster
Options

I am having the same problem with Magician except it doesn't even recognize that it's a 990 Pro. I am hooked up with an external enclosure via USB-3 just to verify disk health and migrate OS before I install into my OMEN 47L. (Adding new NMV a real pain).

I first did disk management in Windows 11 Home to format the disk. Windows sees it as a healthy drive, but it does not show up in Device Manager to check for updates.

My goal is to make this my primary drive and use my existing 2TB WD Black for windows backup and misc.  Any advice?  I need to return this disk soon if it is not workable. ty

0 Likes