Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Samsung driver for 980 EVO pro?

(Topic created on: 08-07-2021 05:14 PM)
euroman1981
Journeyman
Options

I just installed a 980 EVO Pro in my laptop and it works great even though my laptop is PCIE 3.0 x 4. I get 3.5 Gbps read and 3.4 Gbps write, one small thing though. I can only get it to work using the Standard NVME express driver from Microsoft. 

Because if I look at website https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/  It says 
"This driver supports Samsung NVMe SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO and 950 PRO." 

Meaning no Samsung driver for the 980 EVO plus? Is this drive meant to be run using the Microsoft driver? Or will the Samsung NVME driver be updated to include support for 980 EVO pro? 

Anyway if I try to install the current version of the Samsung NVME driver I get the following error. 
driver1.png

I have reset the bios on the laptop to default settings, so I guess this must be a driver error? So any news when and if Samsung will release an updated driver for the 980 EVO pro?

5 REPLIES 5
Stefano Note 10
Student
Options

Ho lo stesso identico problema, Magician non mi riconosce l'unità e mi indica drive errato, io ho un ssd 980 PRO da 1 TB installato su un Notebook Acer aspire 5 con processore di 11th cioè  i5-1135g7 che quindi ha un bus di gen 4.0 ma non me lo sfrutta, offrendomi per adesso solo le velocità di un pci 3.0 . Possibile che l'ssd più costoso del momento non abbia un driver scaricabile ?

TSun
First Poster
Options

They really need to release a driver.. It really doesn't make sense they do not have one.. I was able to get maximum performance by turning on full power mode on the evo 980 Pro I have... but I have an uninterruptible power supply ( backup battery --aka a UPS ) for the tower... Regular users without one may experience minor data loss if they have the power go out with true full power mode on and no UPS or built in battery.. FYI... Then I got full speed out of the drive..

0 Likes
Headblock
First Poster
Options

Hi, I've just installed a 980 as the boot drive in my Acer Nitro laptop and it works well with reasonably healthy benchmarks. However, it should work better with the tweaks available in Samsung's Magician software, but I have the same issues as listed above, i.e. the driver isn't recognised by Magician and the Samsung NVME driver won't install for the 980 series of M.2 drives. I note however, that in the web publicity for the 980, Samsung do claim that it works best with Magician, so in failing to make the two compatible with a suitable driver, they are in fact advertising falsely. Surely this compels Samsung to issue a compatible driver immediately?

tgmct
First Poster
Options

Earlier, I was on the phone with Samsung Support and they acknowledge there is no Samsung driver available.  Then they tried to suggest that my machine may be the problem.  Well, it might...  I have a Dell 5820T  and the storage controllers show up as Intel.  Samsung Magician shows an error message that it isn't compatible with the Intel driver.  But it is hard to replace it with Samsung if they don't have it.  The tech said he documented it and passed it up the chain but who knows? 

0 Likes
ron spectra
First Poster
Options

Samsung Magician recommended I update my drive to a 980pro. I did and as most others say there is no driver. My win7x64 also says there is no driver. This is how to get round it (works on 10 too and I really neither know nor care about 11). You should be able to find the old Win 7 drivers on the web. All you need to do is edit a line in the driver INF file with the new DeviceID (A80A on my device) and use the existing two SYS files. Rename the INF file (otherwise the one you edited may not work or older drives) and install it manually. Very simple and quite effective and absolutely nothing to do with modifying drivers. The speed and performance are identical on Win7, if not a bit faster (2%), to Win10. The new INF file will mean the 980 is no longer signed but signing, in reality, offers zero protection in itself. The whole thing about signing seems to me to be more about protecting Microsofts future interests. After all if they are really interested in our security why are there there so many holes in Windows ??

0 Likes