Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop battery degradation

(Topic created on: 17-05-2023 03:09 PM)
alex_ncfc
Pioneer
Options

Hi all,

Ever since I got my Galaxy Book2 Pro 5 months or so ago, I've used the "only charge to 85% to protect the battery" option. I've never used settings like these in the past, but I thought in doing so it actually would protect and extend the battery.

I use a program called HWMONITOR to, amongst other things, keep an eye on the battery degradation/battery wear level. This has been at 0% until this week - it now shows 2% battery wear. Is this normal? I don't keep the laptop on charge for extended periods of time, and as I said, I've been using the feature to only charge it to 85% ever since I got it really. Is it worth recalibrating the battery in the BIOS now, or not because it's "only" 2% wear?

I had hoped the 85% charge would protect the battery from this happening.

3 REPLIES 3
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
I wouldn't worry about it. I've just got the Book 3 Ultra and I too only charge to 85%. I do a lot of gaming on my laptop so keep the charger plugged in. I'd never download any program to monitor my battery. That program must be using power!
alex_ncfc
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the reply 👍

I should mention that I don't have HWMONITOR running constantly - it's a really useful tool to check various system details which I run every now and then, mainly to check the battery wear. There are other ways to check the battery wear within Windows itself, by generating a battery report, but I was just hopeful that I wouldn't get any battery wear by using the charge to 85% feature. 

keith30
Maestro
Options
I don't think just charging it up to 85% helps it in the long run as you'll end up having to charge it more, at least at 100% you'll have more screen time than your getting at 85%
0 Likes