Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

google prompt not working

(Topic created on: 29-05-2022 06:07 PM)
Members_XzwFbje
Apprentice
Options

I changed the password on my main google account as my old phone was lost, now im locked out

My samsung S21 (few weeks old) is not receiving the google 'yes to sign in prompt' and when you select try another way, the phone number its showing is about 5 years old....it was updated with my latest number when i got my new phone contract, so thats annoying

i am getting other google notifications, just not the prompt and Samsung 2 factor works fine, just not google...is this a common problem?

am i missing something?

ive lost access to nearly all my non gmail services which require 2 factor via gmail, including my mortgage account and bank account, not to mention the films ive bought over the years and my active subcriptions

8 REPLIES 8
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
Do you have a recovery email address

Avoid getting locked out of your Google Account

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7684753?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid
0 Likes
Members_XzwFbje
Apprentice
Options

ive got a recovery email, google wont accept it as proof

my issue is my brand new samsung wont receive sign in prompts from google, i need to know if this is a software issue with samsung or a google play store issue?

xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
Go playstore app
Click on settings
Then click on about
At the bottom it should say
Device Certified

You could perhaps try the
Find device app
And see if it will let you
Login
0 Likes
Members_XzwFbje
Apprentice
Options

showing as certified, unistalled/ reinstalled and updated

still nothing coming in

0 Likes
KrushGroove
First Poster
Options

I'm experiencing the exact same problem.  I was wondering if you've found a solution yet?  I have an S22Ultra that was only about 4 days old when I changed my password and started attempting to have the prompt sent to it.  My prompts aren't going through either.

zpronj
Student
Options

Hi!

I have the same problem. Can't log into my Google account that I want to recover, beacuse my recovery phone number doesn't exist anymore and these prompts are not passing through at all. I don't have any pther option. I tried the back up mail address where I received the link to change my password and then when I go enter the new password it again asks me to confirm my identity - either through the phone number that doesn't exist or through tapping yes which is not appearing. It's incredible, I'm loosing my life worth of work because I can't get this prompt. It's impossible to go to Google Store or Services because for that again you need to log in. Please can someone help me, I'm desperate!!

Zita

FDux
First Poster
Options

Same exact issues just days after your post. Zero support from Google and their community just points you back to general help text. 

Something does seem to be wrong either on Samsung or Googles side. I'm stuck in a limbo where I'm technically still logged into my phone but all apps are logged out of Google.  That allows me to see my settings and they differ from the setting found on the phone vs. if I look at them under a Google app. As you stated, my back up phone and email had also been updated months ago but for whatever reason Google is using the old details for verification and the prompt feature isn't working.  

If anything changes let us know. 

0 Likes
zpronj
Student
Options

Hi there!

It seems that we don't have exactly the same problem, but yes, prompts are not working on Samsung. What ultimately saved me was trying to recover my Gmail account through the usual recovery form but by entering the expired telephone number instead of the Gmail address and then under password entering my current password. I guess that made them believe me a bit more (the fact that i knew the number although expired) and then FINALLY I got that mail saying I have to wait for 48 hrs for them to verify ownership. After 48 hrs of not touching anything I got the mail (to my back up e-mail address that is still working) saying - we see you have a problem with 2 step authentication, click this link and you'll  be logged in. And that happened. I couldn't believe my eyes. I have my account back. And google prompts are turned on in the account so there is no issue from Google side. Just not working on Samsung unfortunately.  There is also advice to update your Google services to the latest version on a Samsung to get the prompts, but I don't know how you're supposed to do that if you're locked out of your Google account. It's just really silly. 

0 Likes