Without having adjusted or changed anything, my Samsung C480FW Printer has started showing the message "Install Toner" on the LCD, with the display showing arrows pointing towards all four cartridges. Previously (before the "Install Toner" message appeared), indicators on the computer had shown all four cartridges are still reasonably full, and the cartridges themselves are most definitely the genuine approved Samsung type.
I've tried power cycling the printer (ie removing the power cable for a while), and also removing and re-seating the cartridges. This hasn't cured the problem although - perhaps notably - the message "Not Compatible Magenta Toner" sometimes appears briefly, and there's a bit of variance in the time taken (up to a few seconds) and order that the "Install Toner" and arrows appear on the screen. But it always quite quickly reaches a steady state - from where I can't do any printing - with "Install Toner" showing, with all four arrows.
Clearly something is wrong, since "Install Toner" is meant to indicate that cartridges are not installed at all (not the case) and "Not Compatible Magenta Toner" is meant to indicate that a third-party type of toner has been installed (not the case).
Can anyone advise on how to tackle this problem?
I had the same problem. Did all these steps:
1. Remove cartridge and rotate the gears manually 5-6 times, and shake toner side to side. Re-insert.
2. Emptied toner waste basket. When that failed, I replaced it with a new one.
3. Clean the gold pins. Clean the cartridge contacts.
4. Ordered new chips to replace in cartridges. Was waiting for chips to arrive but the following steps worked ..
5. Twist the gold pins - this worked for me and ended this nasty ordeal !
6. If the twisting failed, HP advised changing the entire door assembly.
Hope this helps a fellow sojourner in this love/hate relationship with this printer.