Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG: Samsung Migration Service from Magician 7.2.0 prevents drive removal

(Topic created on: 01-04-2023 07:49 AM)
sba923
Apprentice
Options

My Windows 11 machine is running Samsung Magician which has recently been updated to version 7.2.0.

A service called CMigrationService (C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Magician\MigrationService\MigrationService.exe) is running that keeps open handles on all removable drives connected at startup, thus preventing "safe removal" of said drives.

Furthermore, the service cannot be stopped (need to kill the process).

Samsung, please fix this bug ASAP.

Screenshots available at https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBPRo9wXw9s97ZemIa96JIxLqM2Dg?e=JhwVwa

6 REPLIES 6
FoxFanboy
First Poster
Options

That makes two of us!

I am planning to replace a non-Samsung SSD with a Samsung EVO 970 Plus model, and will migrate (clone) using my paid Macrium software.

In preparation, I have downloaded and installed Samsung Magician 7.2.1, as I will want to check the SSD when installed, update firmware if needed etc.

I cannot see why the CMigrationService is required, and it is causing the same problems on removable drives, and likewise can't be stopped, even if set to Manual or Disabled.

Solutions, please!

0 Likes
RobRobsson
First Poster
Options

Change the service to disable, and reboot.

sba923
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the hint. It's weird that it cannot be stopped, but at least it can be disabled.

But probably every update (now running 7.3.0) will re-enable it 😢.

0 Likes
computerdave911
First Poster
Options

easy to fix, open msconfig ,click on the services tab , un check it and reboot, you can delete it but just uncheck it will do the trick,   i googled it and it says If you are not planning to use the Samsung Data Migration tool, or if you have completed the data migration process, you may choose to remove or disable the MigrationService.exe. This can help to free up system resources and prevent any potential conflicts or security risks associated with unnecessary running processes.located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Magician\MigrationService directory

sba923
Apprentice
Options

I'm now running Samsung Magician 8.0.0, and its SamsungMagicianSVC service exhibit the same issue: ejecting removable drives is impossible.

Means that running Magician is just "impossible"...

0 Likes
Ndhlovu
First Poster
Options

Worked for me - many thanks.

0 Likes