Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

accent marks over letters

(Topic created on: 11-10-2016 04:59 PM)
drteeth
Apprentice
Options

how do I make accent marks show up over letters I'm typing in word? 

I am writing something in french, and i need to use accent marks. 

7 REPLIES 7
AdamH
Explorer
Options

Hi Drteeth

Could you please let me know which product are you enquiry is regarding and I should be able to assist you.

Thanks,

Adam

If you find this useful, please hit the like button 🙂
0 Likes
drteeth
Apprentice
Options

hi. I'm not sure. it's a samsung laptop. silver.

0 Likes
Solution
AdamH
Explorer
Options

Hi,

In that case it does depend entirely on the programme you are using to type in.

Most word processors like Microsoft Word have a solution to get characters such as these:

à, è, ì, ò, ù.

In the Microsoft office suite users can utilize the following combinations of keys to add accent marks to letters. For example, to get the character à, you'd press the Ctrl Key, and while holding that key, press the ` Key as well. Then, release both keys and quickly press the A Key.

Note: You must press the letter key quickly after releasing the shortcut keys. Otherwise, the non-accented letter is created.

Here is a great website that shows how to do it for each character you want:

(Please note the link is not a Samsung website and information on the site cannot be guaranteed at 100% accurate)

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000657.htm

Thanks,

Adam

If you find this useful, please hit the like button 🙂
drteeth
Apprentice
Options

that site really helps. I can't get the typing combination to work reliably, but the insert>symbol route is exactly what I needed. I can never remember where to look.

Highlander
Student
Options
When using the key board if you long press on the letter it will give a pop up box with the choice to accent the letter.
SVRied1433
First Poster
Options
I do that but the selected character doesn't appear. Worked perfectly on the S7 but nothing happens on S20. Do I need to activate something?
0 Likes
Angelmom
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem. I am using Duolingo and trying to enter French accents. Anyone?

0 Likes