Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

980 Pro - how to restore a system image backup to a hardware encrypting SSD?

(Topic created on: 10-12-2020 11:06 AM)
puppy2016
Student
Options

I am able to activate BitLocker using the SSD hardware encryption on a clean drive and fresh Windows 10 installation.

But I also want a disk image backup/restore solution in case of a system crash to prevent spending time by the clean install again. I am able to backup (BitLocker suspended) and restore the disk image by Macrium Reflect. It works after the restore, but the BitLocker reports that hardware encryption is not available (software only), so it can not be re-enabled. The message in Event Log is:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-BitLocker/BitLocker Management
Source: Microsoft-Windows-BitLocker-API
Event ID: 798
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Description:
BitLocker failed to initialize hardware encryption for volume C:.
Drive is not provisioned for use with BitLocker hardware encryption:
Hardware-based encryption is not activated on this drive.

But the Samsung Magician software reports the encryption is available. I found a discussion about it that had no solution.

Am I doing it wrong or is impossible by design to use the BitLocker with SSD hardware encryption other than on a clean system install? Note that the same issue happens if you turn off the BitLocker (in a fresh Windows 10 install) and then try to turn it on again. The software encryption becomes available only. The hardware encryption seems to be a one-time only option.

Thanks.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
realbart
First Poster
Options

You write you're able to activate Bitlocker.
HOW?

I've reinstalled windows three times now, but no luck.
The external M.2 enclosure I bought doesn't work, so I don't have an additional drive or additional laptop available. Is there a good tutorial on how to enable hardware bitlocker on a fresh install?

0 Likes
UnKnown_one
Journeyman
Options
When you add tthe bitlocker device,then windws should ask for the pass/ recoverery regardless. If its failing to do this it might be a windows install priblem,or the bitlocked drive is corrupt. I have aa back up drive i can unlock on different devices and versions of windows. There is a recovery method via microsoft support.Darren, Windows Dev Team
0 Likes