Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Newsroom

Find the latest news and tips about Samsung products and services. Read articles, reviews, photos and more.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sustainability in the S21 Series

Discover
Samsung Content Creator
Options

Community_Lifestyle_Banner_Opening_SEUK.png

s21-no-charger-lifestyle.png

You may have heard of the three Rs of the waste hierarchy: reduce, reuse, and recycle. This means reducing the amount of waste we produce, reusing the products we already have, and recycling the ones we can no longer use. This of course applies to rubbish in general, but also to e-waste.

Samsung has long been committed to sustainability and are on track to meet our own demanding targets to collect 7.5 million tonnes of e-waste in addition to making use of 500,000 tonnes of recycled plastic by 2030. Such targets will be met by continually seizing more opportunities within our growing global operations, more information can be found in our sustainability report

Now Samsung’s flagship Galaxy S21 Series is doing its part to help reduce the amount of e-waste in the world. The S21 Series will come with just a USB Type-C data cable, but without a charger plug or earphones. USB-C is the most common type of charger for smartphones and other mobile devices, allowing for high speed data transfer and power flow, and it charges your phone more quickly. Since 2017, we’ve included USB-C charging ports with all our smartphones, which means that older chargers are fully compatible with the latest Galaxy devices. We encourage users to keep using the charging ports that they already have. Of course, if you need to purchase one, they are also available at an affordable price.

As well as reducing the amount of e-waste in the world, this initiative helps to reduce the amount of plastic that has to be produced and helps to extend the life of the Galaxy products that you have at home.

So, will Samsung exclude the charger plug and earphones from Galaxy smartphone packages in the future? The S21 Series is the first step in Samsung’s plan to gradually start removing the earphones and charger plugs from all our flagship smartphones in the future to continue our efforts to combat the e-waste crisis and to ensure more sustainable practices. However, for many users, the Galaxy A series is their first Galaxy smartphone, so they might not have all the Galaxy accessories that they need. To make sure that users can enjoy their new devices to the full, we will still include a charger plus and cable with Galaxy A series smartphones.

Reducing the amount of waste in the world, reusing the products you already own, and recycling the ones you can no longer use, are the three pillars of sustainability, and are now more important than ever.

What steps are you taking to reduce your impact on the environment? Let us know in the comments!

The Community Team  🤝

Discover more:

Galaxy Unpacked January 2021: What was announced?

19 Comments
Evergreen9
Pioneer
Options
You older charging plugs are not compatible with your new USB Type -C data cable. It means instead reducing plastic wastes, you have increased it. Prime example is Samsung Galaxy S10 series charging plugs are not compatible with new charging cable.
Веско
First Poster
Options
SUPER COOL 😎
first-tester
First Poster
Options

can I get a free sample for review

jameshill21
First Poster
Options
Why is my new s21 overheating and battery draining quickly.
Sančo2
Apprentice
Options

Nu nezinu gan,mans SAMSUNG gan nekarst un baterija ilgi tur,pat līdz veselai nedēļai.

Sančo2
Apprentice
Options

Labojums-tur pat līdz veselai nedēļai.

Sančo2
Apprentice
Options

Kas tas ir-iepriekšējos komentāros rakstu,ka līdz nedēļai,bet kad pievienoju komentāru-izmet pavisam citus vārdus?

Kāds vēl domās,ka nemāku rakstīt!😃

Sančo2
Apprentice
Options

Vai tad vārds -😃nedēļa šeit neeksistē?

Sančo2
Apprentice
Options

Beidzot uzrakstījās vārds --nedēļa,kas bija domāts iepriekšējos komentāros!🤣😋23_03_2021__Kucenu_diena____Bi_14.jpg

AntS
Options

@Sančo2 , 😄

And is that Latvian you are writing in?

Positivx
First Poster
Options

This is actually ridiculous and seems like a way for Samsung to increase profits and nothing more. When I am paying $1200 for a phone, I expect to get a charger at the very least.  Honestly. I was actually surprised to open the box to find there was no charger and even more surprised that after paying so much for a phone, I now expected to drop more money on a charger.  This is super cheapskate of Samsung in my opinion. 

Evergreen9
Pioneer
Options
You need to buy another USB cable to transfer data between computer and phone if you don't have super fast charger you must buy it to increase Samsung's profit.
ohwell
Journeyman
Options
Why has my Galaxy s5 screen gone black and won't show content at all?
ohwell
Journeyman
Options
Very expensive still to buy with these items missing and issues with predictive text still present on 3/4 keyboard
ohwell
Journeyman
Options
Why has my Galaxy s5 screen gone black?
ohwell
Journeyman
Options
Does anyone at Samsung actually read these messages 🤔
AntS
Options

@ohwell, Maybe. 😉

Your Galaxy S5 screen going black comments are a little... off-topic, which is probably why they're not getting much attention. We can move your Galaxy S5 issue to the relevant board for you, or you can repost it here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/other-smartphones/bd-p/uk-mobile if you like. Let us know. 🙂:thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/news-rules-faqs/how-to-use-the-community-on-the-samsung-members-... 

Deabru
Student
Options

Now I have to buy a separate charger online... So another packing, another delivery....

Mavimix
Apprentice
Options

I want to give feedback about newest Galaxy (20 and 21). For me it is really disappointing - why Samsung get rid of jack and SD? A lot of people still using jack headphones - I know, I can use adapter but what when I want to charge my smartphone and listen to music!!?? I do like this very often... What with SD card in newest Galaxy? On the other hand a lot of people aren't using dual SIM!!! So Samsung could do SD with ONE SIM!!! In my opinion telephone witch is price is above 800$ should have this options... It isn't cheap... I really wanted to buy Galaxy S20 or S21 but I can't do this - I never gonna buy smartphone without jack and SD. Sorry Samsung... bye....