Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Newsroom

Find the latest news and tips about Samsung products and services. Read articles, reviews, photos and more.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying in part 2: Fitness and wellbeing

Discover
Samsung Content Creator
Options

Community_Lifestyle_Banner_Opening_SEUK.png

Stay_Home_Fitness.jpg

Wellbeing

During this very surreal time, it's important to keep tabs on your emotional wellbeing. While everyone's situation is different, there are some common pointers that could help you to stay relaxed and refreshed

Take care of your space

You'll be surprised how energising it can be to take control of your living and work environment. Do some spring cleaning, wipe down surfaces every day and use aromatherapy and softer lighting to set a relaxing tone for the evening. Remember, increased time spent at home might put extra pressure on appliances and devices too, so be sure to take care of data backups, your TV upkeep and washing machine maintenance

Stay connected

Wellbeing_Staying_In.pngWhen staying home for long periods of time, it's totally natural to feel isolated and perhaps a little lonely. Establish time slots for video calls and remote social activities and honour them as if they were work meetings. You can share your tips and experiences by chatting with other Community members in the Lounge too. 

Make plans for free time

Planning activities in advance will give you something to look forward to and help to keep some feelings of boredom at bay. Be wary of pressurising discourses on social media – you don't need to emerge from this journey a published author or the CEO of a new start-up. Just do the things you like, at your pace.  

Detox

In its guidance on mental health during the lockdown, the World Health Organisation recommended monitoring time spent on devices and taking regular breaks from digital activity. Meditation, mindfulness, journaling and creative activities like cooking and painting are all good ways to relax away from the screen. The WHO guidance also advised reducing (or avoiding) alcohol consumption and limiting exposure to news reports to just one or two times per day. 

Exercise_At_Home_Staying_In.jpg

Fitness

For many years, the benefits of working out have been linked to more than just physical fitness. Regular exercise can improve energy and concentration levels, reduce stress and even improve your sleep.

Do what you can

Exercise_At_Home.jpgIt's important to be mindful of your individual circumstances and to check in with government guidelines for updates. The BBC article on exercising while staying at home has some helpful advice about getting active, relative to your age and household situation, as well as your current state of health and the resources available to you

While staying in, there are plenty of everyday household objects – from cans of food and water bottles to books and towels – that can help you to stay in shape. Find some space, shake up your playlist and work with what you've got.

Use Samsung Health

Why not use Samsung Health to help structure your fitness activity? Pair the app with wearables like the Galaxy Watch Active, Galaxy Fit and Galaxy Buds, set goals, track your progress and get accurate feedback about your nutrition levels and performance. For advice on maintaining a balanced diet you can also check out the UK National Health Service's Eatwell Guide

Work_Out_At_Home.jpg

Find more tips on Explore's Self-care homepage, including how to prioritise health and wellness and get better sleep.

For exercise advice, head to Fitness.

If you've got some ideas of your own to share, post a comment below!

The Community Team 

Discover more:

Samsung Hacks: Blue light reduction

Community Lifestyle: Remote working

Samsung Hacks: Create your AR Emoji

Explore: Tips from fitness entrepreneur Hannah Bronfman

5 Comments
FlorieJoy
Samsung Helper
Options

This is such a helpful way to provide ideas during these testing times. Thanks 

SjorsK
Maestro
Options

Something I do to stay active is to try do dance for a few minutes after putting some music on. Or spend a bit extra time on chores (If it gets me active, it gets my brain active which means that I can get work done \o/ )

CarloL
Hotshot
Options

As the romans used to say "mens sana in corpore sano", a healthy mind in a healthy body. I find especially useful to do yoga and stretching at least 3 times a week for 20 minutes, it really makes your body feel good as well as your mind in peace with the world. Also, having pets, plants, some colour in the house you can focus on and meditate on the good things about life (nature for example) can really help seeing things coloured again.

at_theresonly1mac
Options

I know this is about staying in.... BUT.

THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS GET FRESH AIR AND SYRETCH YOUR LEGS.

Seriously, get out of that stale air,  and move! Walk around the block, go to local area and grab a coffee. Say hello to strangers.

Mental health is as important as physical health, if not more so.   

I have mental health issues, and CANNOT stay in for days at a time, let alone weeks or months. It's fine telling us vulnerable to stay in, bit some cannot just stay in.

On disability we didn't get an uplift or extra dumps of money, but we were meant to stay locked down. It was driving my Mrs mad with being locked down, and at the time she was a cancer patient, and was scared to go out.

So me and my walker went out twice a week, for top up shops, grab a coffee, get fresh air and stretch my legs.

I'm writing this after lockdown, and my advise is still the same ... Get out if you are able to, stretch your legs, meet strangers, and grab a coffee (or tea or fizzy or whatever).

I couldn't wear a mask, cos of my particular mental issues, but it would drive me mad at those either not bothering or half a job (nose out, mouth covered).

If there is another lockdown, I will do the same, as I have to, and if you have mental health issues, I'm telling you to get out too. Being lockdown and mental issues doesn't mix, and just like a tiger pacing in its cage, being lockdown stressed me out something chronic.

Mental health is important, and do t forget to look after it.

alex009
Student
Options
Meditation and relaxation. Go within its realy the space journey.