Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Newsroom

Find the latest news and tips about Samsung products and services. Read articles, reviews, photos and more.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove the protective film from your new TV

Discover
Samsung Content Creator
Options

Samsung_Hacks_Banner_Opening_SEUK.png

You’ve just got your new Samsung TV out of the box. You can’t wait to set it up and start watching. Naturally, you want to get the best viewing experience possible. This is why a lot of Samsung TVs are shipped with protective film over the screen, as it ensures that the screen will be perfectly intact when you get your new set. Before you start watching anything on your TV, you may need to take this film off.

Not all TVs are shipped with this protective film, and the polarising film on the screen might look like it could be peeled off. Don’t do it! You’ll need this to be able to see what’s on the screen. If you’re not sure whether your Samsung TV has a protective film that needs to be removed, this hack is for you!

If there is a barcode on the screen

1. If your TV has a protective film on the screen, it should have a tab in either the top or bottom left corner, as well as a barcode on the screen
  2. Turn your TV on for a couple of hours so the panel gets warm. This will help the protective film to come off more easily
  3. Guide the tab on the protective film smoothly towards the centre of the screen
  4. Make sure you hold the TV firmly so that it doesn’t fall over
  5. If there are no tabs but there’s a barcode on the screen, use a piece of sticky tape to help you remove the protective film.

If there is no barcode on the screen

1. If there is no barcode on the screen, this means there is no protective film there
  2. The polarising film on the screen isn’t the same as a protective film, and mustn’t be removed
  3. The small mark on this film isn’t an air bubble; it’s a mark used in the manufacturing process

Do you have a hack of your own? Let us know in the comments!

The Community Team  🤝

Discover more:

Samsung wins 71 iF Design Awards

Samsung TV Plus for mobile

Remove channels from Samsung TV Plus

8 Comments
Robermg
Pathfinder
Options

Good information.

Lobo59
First Poster
Options

This information would be good to have in the manual. I called Samsung customer service and was advised to take it off after 2 hours but after reading in the community forums I realized there was no protective coating on my tv

Jbal
First Poster
Options

This happened to me as well. Very disappointed in Samsung, this will probably be the last Samsung product I purchase. If they would just put it in PlAIN WRITING in the setup guide this could have been averted.  Instead they put a little cartoon with no explanation…like cheap furniture instructions. Very disappointed in Samsung 

Maggie80
First Poster
Options

We just purchased a 58" Samsung TV...the picture is wonderful...we seem to have a non glare film on this TV...the instructions say DO NOT take off film, but it is very hard to clean...any suggestions???

LWM1
First Poster
Options

I purchased the Q90B which had a yellow bar code sticker in the middle of the screen but no "tab in either the top or bottom left corner" as described above. Before seeing this video I was advised by Samsung support that my TV did not have a protective film that needed removing, which contradicts the advice given in the video on this page (also referred to in point 5 above)! Samsung support suggested that I "may remove it (i.e. the yellow barcode sticker) with "no force to avoid screen damage".  This contradictory advice from Samsung (the Samsung video and Samsung support) is ridiculous and very confusing. And why should I be asked to take the risk of damaging the screen of my expensive new TV by trying to remove the sticker myself with "no force"? This is so disappointing from Samsung.

fame_isnt_mine
First Poster
Options

I accidentally peeled the polarized film off, luckily only a partition of it and I feel so disappointed that it and I am having a difficult time fixing it. In addition, I have not found the warning of having a product that has no shipment protection over it, and it was so easy pealing it, just like the samsung flip 3, i was going to peel the sticker off if I didnt see the warning when i started the device. 

Members_RJLJmEt
First Poster
Options

So I peeled a part of it off and now I have a partily peeled off polarising screen.. Is there any way to get a new polarising screen on it, is it repairable??

ChrisBoath
First Poster
Options

So much for your conflicting basic installation and support instructions. I can’t even believe the manufacturer now. 
The installation instructions do not mention a protective coating on my new TV.
I took delivery  of my Samsung QLED S90C a week ago. It does not/did not have a Barcode sticker on the screen. It does have a tab on the top left hand  corner of the screen which indicates it has a peel off protective coating. Now I’m not sure whether it is a protective or polarising coating after reading the Samsung instructions and community comments.

I want a clear answer from Samsung now.

For a TV costing this much I would have expected better and more accurate installation instructions than something I would purchase at IKEA. I would have also expected a decent remote control instead of the toy supplied. 
I am an electronics engineer with many years of dealing with complex test equipment. I know what I’m doing and I can read and write an accurate technical manual but this generic cartoon stuff is pretty poor. 

The Cover/retaining clip for the Optical input is missing. I’m not sending the whole unit back for that. How can I get one please? who do I contact?
Not happy after spending thousands of dollars.