Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Newsroom

Find the latest news and tips about Samsung products and services. Read articles, reviews, photos and more.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create an eco-lifestyle?

Discover
Samsung Content Creator
Options

Climate_Change_Protest.png

Fish are cool. Here in the Community team we’re pretty fascinated with them... they have impressive learning capabilities, they’re amongst the oldest inhabitants of the earth, and there are more species of them than mammals, birds and reptiles combined. We’re also totally intimidated by the colossal scale of all the ‘blue bits’ on the globe. So. Much. Water.

Back in 2016 the World Economic Forum said that by 2050 there would be more plastic in the world’s oceans than fish.

That’s a lot of plastic.

Pollution_Plastic_Bottles.PNGAnd nowadays, it can feel like every August breaks a summer record. Every year another peculiarity or even disaster is reported, shared on social feeds and beamed through headphones.

An environmental crisis is upon us. And sometimes it’s easy, when cramming into a rammed Metro or Underground carriage – a stranger’s shoulder in your face and another’s briefcase jammed into your back – to feel like a very small cog in an unfathomably large, densely populated machine. And that nothing you could do could ever truly affect the course of the earth’s future.

But these kinds of misconceptions are a luxury the human race simply can’t afford.

A startling UN report created by the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) and published in May 2019 warned that nature is declining at a rate never seen before, with up to a million species threatened with extinction. The assessment cited climate change, pollution, changes in land and sea use and exploitation of natural resources as key drivers in the crisis. 

In a similar vein, NASA has said that the frequency of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes has increased since the early 1980s, and figures released by the Met Office in early 2019 revealed that continued high temperatures could make 2014-2023 the warmest string of years since records began. In fact, global averages are around 1°C higher than pre-industrial levels, contributing to increased frequency of floods, droughts and extreme weather occurrences.

So what can we do?

Recycle_Bottles.PNGWe were bumbling around some Explore pages over at Samsung.com a while ago and Four Ways to Create an Eco-Home This Summer got us thinking about what tips we could share on the Community for creating eco-friendly lifestyles. The IPBES report called for widespread adoption of sustainable conservation efforts on both national and local levels, and there are all kinds of ways you can make a positive impact.

Recycling, lift-sharing, cutting down meat and dairy consumption, replacing single-use plastics with reusable food containers, sourcing local products and buying second hand clothing are all great ways to make a difference. They're also solutions that many of us have probably heard before, so if you have something to add, why not share it with us?

We're inviting all of you to discuss the habits you're swapping-out for greener alternatives, any positive contributions you're making to the environmental effort, and whether there are any ways you're using technology to reduce your carbon footprint.

As always, we love your feedback. So if you've got something to say, just post it in the comments below.

Big hugs,

The Community Team :handshake:

2 Comments
SjorsK
Maestro
Options

I try to slowly but surely add my little contribution to my carbon footprint.

One of the projects I am involved in is renovating my apartment complex to be as energy-neutral as possible :smiling-face: My house and work place is actually below sea level, for me an eco-friendly lifestyle is key for my own survival. In recent years we had to sacrifice more and more lands and close the water defenses in order to minimize damage during floods. If it wasn't for the water defenses in place my city would have been a swamp and if the water rises too much... Let say that I wouldn't like to live in new atlantis :winking-face:

Other things I do to reduce my carbon footprint is to eat less meat (Not enough to be vegetarian, but it isn't a part of my daily diet anymore). I recycle everything where realistically possible and I do of course vote for parties with a green agenda during elections, which will increase the amount of funding for green projects :smiling-face: That said, in the Netherlands almost every party tends to have a green agenda for obvious reasons so my choice tends to be less restrictive these days :smiling-face:

I do of course have a "green" energy contract, I don't drive a car and always cycle to work (and back) and use public transport for my other travelling requirements. Every small contribution helps even though its nothing on the larger scope but its important that everyone does their own little thing :smiling-face: I also have a Nest thermostat in my house to reduce the amount of energy I use which will be quite important until the renovation project has been finished.

Perhaps a weird bit of advice: Some old washing machines, fridges etc. take a lot of energy. Sometimes its cheaper and more eco-friendly to replace (and recycle) your old devices. The fun thing is that an eco friendly lifestyle is usually also wallet friendly :smiling-face:

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Impressive @SjorsK . Certain I am aware and  make an effort  though realise , though may not be as much as some.   I have reduced my red  meat intake in recent years , partly for environmental reasons but also health reasons.  I also do not  own a car and mostly use public transport, though initially was choice (for one thing due to poor coordination), I do have a green energy contract and recycle as much as possible.      I also tend not to use planes for journeys from Scotland to England nowadays.

Agree it can be more environmentally friendly replacing older devices,though of course some dispose of  rather than recycle appliances.