Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Newsroom

Find the latest news and tips about Samsung products and services. Read articles, reviews, photos and more.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert handwriting to text with Samsung Notes

Discover
Samsung Content Creator
Options

Samsung_Hacks_Banner_Opening_SEUK.png

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-S-Pen.png

Please Note: This Hack is only applicable to devices with an S Pen. 

With so much time spent typing on devices and keyboards, it's sometimes easy to forget the benefits of writing things by hand. It might be slower than typing, but many studies have shown that students often engage more deeply and ultimately retain more information as a result of making written notes. The humble pen is also well equipped to sketch diagrams, draw graphs and scribble formulas on the fly.

Having said that, perhaps the biggest drawback of paper-and-pen notations is the time it can take to digitalise them later on, especially when they combine both graphics and text together. Thankfully, that's where Samsung Notes can help out. Use the S Pen to write, doodle and draw straight onto a digital canvas, then convert your handwriting to text and export your multimedia file in a variety of formats. No paper wastage, no typing up notes, no fuss. 

Here's what to do:

1. Make sure your device is switched on and unlocked
  2. Remove your S Pen and tap Create note from the S Pen menu
    • To use a previously saved note instead, tap View all notes from the S Pen menu and select your note
  3. Choose Pen mode from the toolbar at the bottom. It's the second tool from the left, after the keyboard symbol
  4. Use Pen mode to select a drawing tool, colour and line thickness and then create or add to your freehand note
  5. Using your finger, scroll up to generate more blank pages when required
    • Save your note at any time by tapping the more options menu in the top-right corner and then Save as file
  6. To digitalise your writing, tap the Convert to text symbol. It looks like a doodle with an upper case T
  7. Adjust the selection field to exclude diagrams or doodles you do not wish to convert to text
  8. Tap Copy to copy and paste the digital notes elsewhere, or Convert to change your notes into digital text
  9. Share or save your note using the more options menu

If you've got something to add, let us know in the comments below!

The Community Team  🤝

Discover more:

Samsung Explore: How to Take Notes Like a Boss

Samsung Hacks: How to clean your smartphone

5 Comments
Garv
Journeyman
Options

I love Samsung.

DrillersClothing
Journeyman
Options
does anyone know if their is a Samsung Fashion room for ideas and designers ??
Murmeltier
Voyager
Options

Great contribution!

Regards, Murmeltier (I'm officially part of the Samsung Community from Germany)

Steven07
First Poster
Options

I've got an S20 and I can't get it to take a screenshot. Tried holding down the power and volume down button, but nothing happens. even pressed the center button and asked Google to do it. Still, nothing happens?
Can anyone help, please?

ellagrey
First Poster
Options
I have a 2nd way... @steven07
  1. Navigate to the content you want to capture.
  2. Take a screenshot with the volume down and power buttons or a palm swipe.
  3. Tap the Scroll capture option that shows up at the bottom.
  4. Keep pressing the Scroll capture button to continue going down the page.