Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 26-10-2019 05:39 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I have reached out to a lot of these reviewers and they have stated, that they haven’t tested if it does but a lot of customers have tested and it isn’t. The reviewers are going to context Samsung for some clarification. So all in all not even the reviewers know if it is even though they have stated it.
0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

@

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Sure, so I have the LG c9 that has eARC that’s turned on even though it doesn’t need to be considering the soundbar isn’t eARC. I have the soundbar directly connected to the tv hdmi arc port for all sound from all devices. It’s set to passthrough and al the HDMI ports are set to bitstream (LG c9 currently doesn’t support pcm multichannel) though an update is coming next year to fix this so don’t use the tv’s pcm as you’ll just get 2 channel audio and nothing more. DTV is set to auto and under the sound options ensure Dolby atmos is on I don’t know if it’s greyed out now with using the soundbar for sound over the tv speakers. And that’s pretty much my set up. I’m using a 2.1 hdmi cable. I get Dolby atmos on Netflix and Apple TV 4K all be it lossy audio from DD+ with it not being eARC.
0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

Ok and what happens if you change "Passthrough" to "Auto"?

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I’m not entirely sure, I’ve kept mine on passthrough as this wasn’t an option on the C8 so I just thought I’d passthrough was a new setting for arc this year then I kinda thought it must be the best option for eARC use not that it matters currently.
0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

Reading the manual I think that "Passthorogh" option is basically to support DTS-HD codec. If you don't need it then try to switch "Passthorogh" to "Auto" and see if it changed anything.

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I have tried both and they don’t make much difference. My tv might be eARC but the soundbar isn’t so HD audio passthrough cannot happens as arc will not pass HD audio just standard compressed audio. That’s why I wanted eARC and it can passthrough uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 wheres arc can do compressed 5.1 at best.

HDMI ARC bandwidth is 1 Mbps
EARC bandwidth is 37 Mbps which is a massive difference and why eARC can support HD audio and lossless audio and arc cannot
0 Likes
imanders
First Poster
Options

I was looking at this thread and reserching online. I found the following info as pointed out by RTINGS discussion.

cbadb0ff52e088955df4ada6ebffaa78-full.png

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I’ve literally just posted this on a new topic I created myself and others got together to get this sorted and make Samsung sort it out. And apparently they now are. 🙌🏽🙌🏽
0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

@zhspence wrote:
I have tried both and they don’t make much difference. My tv might be eARC but the soundbar isn’t so HD audio passthrough cannot happens as arc will not pass HD audio just standard compressed audio. That’s why I wanted eARC and it can passthrough uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1 wheres arc can do compressed 5.1 at best.

HDMI ARC bandwidth is 1 Mbps
EARC bandwidth is 37 Mbps which is a massive difference and why eARC can support HD audio and lossless audio and arc cannot

Shouldn't passthrough mean more/less the same as PCM? As I understand, Auto mode meas either PCM or Passthrough. What's the point?

0 Likes