Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 05-10-2020 04:13 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
Hipis_1
Explorer
Options

" EArc on a tv with cral speakers makes no sense" ? I want to send audio from Netflix (or different tv app in the future) to amp with 5.1.2 speakers. I heard they use Dolby Digital+ not Dolby Digital which is only 5.1. So am I right ARC is not enough to get real Atmos with additional height speakers?

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

It does give atmos, but compressed

0 Likes
storkmusic
Explorer
Options

2019 Samsung qled tvs will decode Dolby Atmos sound if it available on the source such as a 4K blue ray player.  But Arc will only transmit a compressed version of that sound tract to your sound bar. So if you plug your source X box, blue ray player, etc., into your expensive Samsung qled tv and then use Arc to transmit the sound from the tv to your AV receiver or sound bar the tv will will compress the signal because standard Arc does not have enough band width to transmit the entire signal to your fancy sound system. You have to plug your sound source directly into your fancy sound system to get uncompromised sound. Also anything you stream directly from the tv such as Netflix will only have a compressed sound tract. Then you run the video from receiver into the tv. But this often causes a delay in the picture resulting in the notorious lip synch effect. The simple solution is for Samsung to keep their promise and update the firmware and provide Earc on the 2019 qled TVs just like they did for their 2019 sound bars. Then you plug everything into the tv and it decodes all the signals the the way they were intended. 

Ivan1979
Pathfinder
Options

Nice explained, true ! 😀

_oSo_
Navigator
Options

Beautifully explained @storkmusic   And that’s why many of us are asking for the promised update. I want to use the only EARC port available on the soundbar and connected to the tv and then connect everything else to the tv so that the signals passes thru the tv and it’s send to the soundbar as atmos regardless as if it’s coming from the Xbox or and app that can send Dolby atmos or Dolby digital +. Right now I have to choose what I connect to the soundbar (tv or Xbox or receiver). If the tv had eARC update then I wouldn’t have to be making selections like this as the whole system will work perfectly well. 

Hipis_1
Explorer
Options

Got it:). But Samsung has problem with implementation? Two students do it after school or what? Is it the promise or the fact that eARC wiil be in 2019 Q models? Months have passed.

0 Likes
Chebattler
Explorer
Options

1372.2 update released for TVs. Anyone knows what this update is about? 

0 Likes
jga_182
Journeyman
Options

I've just update it but still no eArc 😞

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

You do get atmos, when you play a Netflix movie or bluray atmos your getting atmos and can hear it from all speakers, have even heard it above me. Its compressed atmos, but still impressive with decent atmos source.

Think the issue is everyone thinks with Netflix will be blown away. Its only 5.1 compressed atmos your getting, so in  no way much get. And Samsung are not using 5.1, it's 7.1, dolby + is for the other versions of Dolby, like dts, atmos, etc.

0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

New update is live: 1012.6

0 Likes