Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 28-05-2020 11:56 AM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
denodan
Navigator
Options
TV is pointless having earc as you need decent speakers to get atmos which you will never get through your q90r tv. I have the Q90R soundbar also and my Xbox One X going through soundbar and getting Dolby atmos.
0 Likes
storkmusic
Explorer
Options
eARC let's you use the TV's app and route the sound to a sound bar or AV receiver that also has eARC without losing audio fidelity. Otherwise you have to plug everything into the receiver and send the individual video sources, blue ray, cable, internet, game console to the tv. That can cause lip synch problems. Standard ARC doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle HD audio like Dolby atmos without compressing it. If you have spent the time and money on a top notch audio setup or home theater it's not pointless, it's necessary.
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Well I have the Xbox one X plugged into the soundbar directly and have no lip sync issues what so ever and come up as Dolby atmos and to me still sounds pretty good. So for me it's good enough and still much better than my older 5.1 ever way. So to me it's a massive upgrade and still even better than the sound coming out of my tv speakers. It doing everything I need it to do. Even the atmos demo on Xbox one X still had sound reflecting off the roof. It may not be the best atmos but yo me sounds great still and that's all that matters.

Even Netflix and my games are running dolby atmos through xbox and yet to have lip syncing issues

0 Likes
storkmusic
Explorer
Options
Glad it's working for you. I'm not a gamer so I'm using my " fancy" Samsung q90r tv as my video router for my 5.2.4 home theater. eARC is a software upgrade that was promised and is long overdue.
0 Likes
Kiwi84
Apprentice
Options

@storkmusic wrote:
Glad it's working for you. I'm not a gamer so I'm using my " fancy" Samsung q90r tv as my video router for my 5.2.4 home theater. eARC is a software upgrade that was promised and is long overdue.

What? The eARC update has been out for a few weeks now....

0 Likes
Chebattler
Explorer
Options

He is talking about eARC update for a TV, not for a soundbar. 

No point to have eARC on Soundbard if you want it to work with your Q 2019 TV 

Kiwi84
Apprentice
Options

@Chebattler wrote:

He is talking about eARC update for a TV, not for a soundbar. 

No point to have eARC on Soundbard if you want it to work with your Q 2019 TV 

Ah right, Samsung's super not confusing naming system

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
Since the tv cannot do dolby atmos anyway no point in having E arc on the tv is it? The only advantage is going from e arc tv to e arc soundbar you would get dolby atmos through soundbar from tv.

To me dont need e arc on tv as I am allready getting atmos through xbox one x using netfilx going through soundbar directly
0 Likes
Chebattler
Explorer
Options

I dont have xbox, I want to have TV + soundbar and nothing more. So I wait for update of TV, like many of us. 

People who use external media source connected to soundbar with earc, congrats, it is now possible. 

The rest - keep waiting. 

0 Likes
Ivan1979
Pathfinder
Options

@Chebattler

True... We are waiting for TV's update... 

0 Likes