Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 07-05-2020 09:40 AM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
SpongeyBob
Pioneer
Options
I think only the Netflix app on Samsung TVs supports Atmos, I have the same, only DD+ on Disney+ and Prime Video. Maybe it'll be updated at some point (when eARC is out perhaps??)
redrumix
First Poster
Options

How can I check subwoofer and side firmware version?

Im Smarthings app I van obły see 1010.5 without any other details.

What should be the latest versions of every spekaer on this device when it is fully updated?

0 Likes
jga_182
Journeyman
Options

@SpongeyBob wrote:
I think only the Netflix app on Samsung TVs supports Atmos, I have the same, only DD+ on Disney+ and Prime Video. Maybe it'll be updated at some point (when eARC is out perhaps??)

I also download two official ATMOS demos from Dolby website (https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-trailers.html) and I try to play it via USB and I couldn't see the "Dolby ATMOS" in the soundbar display so I think ATMOS is not working.

0 Likes
Ivan1979
Pathfinder
Options

You can't if your TV don't support Dolby Atmos in settings.. 

0 Likes
jobean
Navigator
Options

@Ivan1979 wrote:

You can't if your TV don't support Dolby Atmos in settings.. 

Wrong! If you have connected your soundbar to your TV and you set audio output to Passthrough it does not matter whether your TV supports it or not...

0 Likes
SpongeyBob
Pioneer
Options

@redrumix wrote:

How can I check subwoofer and side firmware version?

Im Smarthings app I van obły see 1010.5 without any other details.

What should be the latest versions of every spekaer on this device when it is fully updated?

With soundbar off, hold the down (bottom of circle) on the remote for 6 seconds, it'll turn on and give you some numbers. See https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Audio-Video/1010-5-Firmware-Update-for-hw-Q70R-hw-Q80R-hw-Q90R-S... for the updated figures (though in Europe for Q-80R we seem to be getting S 0033.0 not 0133.0 as the admin stated, waiting for clarification on that)

0 Likes
SpongeyBob
Pioneer
Options
We've had clarification, S 0033.0 on the Q-80R is correct :smiling-face:
0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options
@jga_182, make sure your soundbar and the tv are properly connected via the arc hdmi port.
If you have a QLED Q90r tv remember that:
- Disney plus native app on Samsung tv does not support Dolby atmos, only 5.1.
- Netflix app on Samsung tv does support Dolby atmos so any show with Dolby atmos should display Dolby atmos on the sound bar if the language in which you are watching the show has Dolby atmos. This means that a show could say Dolby atmos on the description but not all languages have the Dolby atmos signal.
- Amazon Prime Video has Some shows with Dolby atmos and it’s supported on your Samsung tv using the native app, the problem is that amazon doesn’t mention Dolby atmos on the show description but I know for sure that Jack Ryan UHD has Dolby atmos. I play this show everytime I want to verify the Dolby atmos signal on amazon prime video. The soundbar immediately shows Dolby atmos when I play this show.

Also your q90r doesn’t have eARC so any external device connected to the one connect box will not pass the Dolby atmos signal to the soundbar. If you want to listen Dolby atmos from an External device you will have to connect it directly to the soundbar. I still haven’t found a way to enable pass through on the tv (I have a q90r QLED) but I really don’t think the tv is capable of this at this time. That’s the reason why I Need the eARC update on the tv as well.
SpongeyBob
Pioneer
Options
That's good to know the Prime has Atmos on the native app, I didn't know that as the app doesn't state it! Just confirmed that with Jack Ryan, Dolby Atmos scrolled on the soundbar screen via ARC :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Jimbo69
Journeyman
Options

When you're in prime play a title that you know for sure has Dolby plus. I used 'the expanse'. While playing go to the sound settings on the TV and change to Dolby plus. You'll find that Dolby plus is greyed out but it is selectable.

Now go on to Netflix and play a title that definitely has Atmos. I chose 'altered carbon' season 2. You may have to change the audio source to Atmos audio of altered carbon while it's playing by going in to audio and subtitles.

0 Likes