Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 06-05-2020 08:18 AM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
Dannyxcm
Explorer
Options

btw if you have the movies on the external hdd connected to the shield there is no need for a plex server , you just downlod kodi app on the shield and play all movies with that ,works great like this also. As i said before i use plex becuase i stream on multiple devices , if you just stream to 1 you don't need plex server.

0 Likes
Bonz80
Explorer
Options

The main purpose is benefit all the lossless Atmos & Dts:x from the Remux 4kMovies into my Oled C9 & Soundbar HW-Q80R.

And is it possible to watch the movies from the hdd connected to Shield without Kodi? I mean with any Shield player or even the LG TV player?

0 Likes
Dannyxcm
Explorer
Options

The shield is a android streaming box , it has android 9 , kodi is just a player you download for free from google play . To benefit from lossless atmos/dts:x you can't use the any of the internal lg apps , that defeats the whole purpose of having a nvidia shield.

Lossless atmos/dts:x is only achieveable from the shield connected to the tv.

zoric
Explorer
Options

Yes,Shield is the best choice for player...however curently there is problem with the bitrate with Atmos streams in Kodi...there is some skipping in audio,hickups from time to time...fix is on the way but it's frustrating....more info on Github and Kodi Forums.

0 Likes
bjornland
First Poster
Options

I've been having a weird issiu since the update, when I run sound through earc from my computer to the Soundbar it completely messes up the sound for all inputs, even the internal apps(no sound, you have to restart the content a couple of times before earc kicks inn)

When connecting the hdmi directly from the computer to the soundbar(different hdmi cable) the sound drops inn and out

Forgot to mention the soundbar is hw-q96r. TV LG 55C9. Gpu RTX2080ti

0 Likes
Chebattler
Explorer
Options

But what if you use PC or Laptop as a source of your content.

I mean, will the atmos/HDR10+/Dolby Vision etc passthrough from PC to soundbar to TV through HDMI? (TV Q85- without eARC).

0 Likes
Dannyxcm
Explorer
Options
Windows/macos does not support dolby vision , you can passthrough dolby atmos true hd if you connect the pc from the vidoe card( you need good video card) to the tv , assuming you have a good win10 version with the correct drivers and at least a 900 series gtx video card.windows doesnt support dts:x though.
Chebattler
Explorer
Options
thanks for your reply. Lets say I have good videocard, win10 version, cable, soundbar with earc, tv without earc, so lip sync shouldn't appear for such configuration? I dont fully understand when lip sync issue triggered.

for those interested if their gpu supports audio formats:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2796/~/which-hdmi-audio-formats-do-nvidia-gpus-s...
0 Likes
Dannyxcm
Explorer
Options
IF you plug you pc directly into the HDMI of the soundbar you won't have any lipsync issues. Lipsync comes in if you plug the pc directly into the tv (and the tv doesnt not have earc support). If your tv supports earc you can plug the pc either way, you should be fine. Personally i haven't experienced any lipsync issues either way , the only thing was back before earc update for the hw q90r soundbar ,when i used to plug my pc/nvidia shield directly in the tv , i wouldn't get truehd atmos, i would get only 7.1 truehd pcm ( basicaly the atmos metadata was lost ), but no lipsync issues. Lipsync could also be due to not using the correct hdmi cable - you should use at least a 2.0b hdmi gold plated cable.
jga_182
Journeyman
Options

@Izumi01 wrote:

To enable Atmos again, change source to tv and find a channel with dd+ then change audio to dd+ and voilà, you can watch Netflix with atmos enabled!

Yesterday I install my new Q70r soundbar in my Q90r TV (HDMI Arc) and I updated it (1010.5). My problem is that I can't listen Atmos in Disney Plus or Prime Video (same problem that @

and @  ). I only have 5.1 but not Atmos (when Atmos is working in the bar display i should see ATMOS right?). I tried this tip but i didn't work. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong. When you say "change source to TV" you mean activate the TV speakers? If I do that even in a channel with DD+, the DD+ option is not available. If I do the same process activating the soundbar the DD+ option is available but in both cases ATMOS still disable. Do you know if there is something more that I can do?

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes