Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 16-02-2020 02:58 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
superwing
Student
Options

Hi guys

It is confirmed by this Samsung rep the eARC still working in progress for the 2019 Q90R tv.. I think this is the 1st time openly committed by any Samsung rep. Can we count on him? 

https://youtu.be/NMI7nqS61nI  (7:17s) 

0 Likes
HWq90R
Apprentice
Options

That seems to reflect on the tv not the q90r soundbar

0 Likes
Joseph_Elery
First Poster
Options

This is a little confusing. I chatted with a samsung rep and he confirmed that the bar already have eARC and its a hardware capability not through a firmware update. Now, I do have dolby atmos, vision when playing thru netflix from an appletv 4K. So what are we waiting on really? 

0 Likes
Jono1984
Apprentice
Options

@Joseph_Elery wrote:

This is a little confusing. I chatted with a samsung rep and he confirmed that the bar already have eARC and its a hardware capability not through a firmware update. Now, I do have dolby atmos, vision when playing thru netflix from an appletv 4K. So what are we waiting on really? 

It's not confusing. Read the whole thread. It doesn't have eARC

0 Likes
fb767
Explorer
Options

@Joseph_Elery wrote:

As someone else said, read the whole thread.

1) The Samsung rep either lied to you or is very uninformed, which is unsurprising. The soundbar does NOT have eARC.

2) eARC can be provided through software, that's why other companies that don't lie have updated their TVs/soundbars to eARC.

3) You can get compressed ATMOS through ARC, and that's what you're seeing. We want uncompressed, lyp sync, etc, all the stuff you get from eARC. 

Joseph_Elery
First Poster
Options

Well instead of surrendering to your bossy response, I decided to read more about lossy and lossless atmos. As someone like me who mainly stream then eARC doesn't really play any advantage to me.  I was just curios enough to know what the fuss is all about and I don't have the time to go through pages of this forum.  As all if not most videos from all streaming services uses lossy audio then its a moot point. I guess using streaming with lossy atmos advantage is no lip sync issues. Besides, how much really of a difference is it if you are using the same bar? Good luck to you guys, hopefully Samsung gives you eARC.

0 Likes
dr12
Journeyman
Options

Ok I'm gonna buy a shield for lossles atmos, now i'm interested if q90r is dolby vision passthrough ? Thanks

0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options

@dr12 wrote:

Ok I'm gonna buy a shield for lossles atmos, now i'm interested if q90r is dolby vision passthrough ? Thanks

Yes it is

0 Likes
dr12
Journeyman
Options

4k 60hz? Thanks

0 Likes
abc123xyz
Explorer
Options

@SuissoNaBisso wrote:

@dr12 wrote:

Yes it is

I have tried everything and I can not get a Dolby Vision signal to pass through this soundbar using both an xbox one x and and appletv 4K to an Panasonic TV.

0 Likes