Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 20-01-2020 07:05 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
Donchillsan
Apprentice
Options
I only use Plex on my 2019 Shield and use to experience these issues. The audio dropouts have now been resolved with a combination of hotfixes and enabling framerate matching.
Clapton94
Journeyman
Options

It worked for me with a SSD connected to the shield and then to the TV LG C9 and HW80R using VLC and its pass-through option 👍

0 Likes
zoric
Explorer
Options

@Donchillsan Thanks for the reply...can you point me where to find the solution for audio drop-off on Kodi?I searched everywhere and I didn't find any answers...

0 Likes
Donchillsan
Apprentice
Options

@zoric

Try searching for this app via the shield android store. The 2019 and possibly 2017 Shield offer frame rate matching but its in beta stage atm so not all apps support it. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.bytearray.refreshrate&hl=en_US

0 Likes
zoric
Explorer
Options
Ok ,and what is needed to be done in the app?set to 60Hz ,59Hz?
0 Likes
Donchillsan
Apprentice
Options
Try setting to 24hz before watching a movie on kodi.
0 Likes
zoric
Explorer
Options
I wached some videos on Youtube,I will see what will happen...thanks.
0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options

@SuissoNaBisso wrote:

Hey all

So we've done new tests with  Ambursz57 on passing through ARC / eARC HD sounds to the soundbar.Here is the set up we tested :LG TV model C9 from 2019 with HDMI 2.1 and eARC

Soundbar Samsung Q90R with supposed eARC 

Nvidia Shield 2019 model

Emby app with UHD movies containing Dolby True HD Atmos soundtrack

First test :

TV C9 with eARC enabled

Soundbar connected to TV and Shield connected to TV, sound sent back to soundbar via eARC

Results = Soundbar display Atmos logo, Emby server well sending Dolby True HD Atmos format. Sound quality is awesome.

Learning supposed = Samsung soundbar is well eARC enabled as receiving HD sound from the Shield via the TV.

Second test :

TV C9 with eARC enabled

Soundbar connected to TV and Shield connected to soundbar, not ARC / eARC used.

Results = Soundbar display Atmos logo, Emby server well sending Dolby True HD Atmos format. Sound quality is equally awesome.

Learning supposed = Samsung soundbar is well eARC enabled as receiving HD sound from the Shield via the TV gave the same sound quality as when it was using ARC / eARC.

Third test :

TV C9 with eARC disabled

Soundbar connected to TV and Shield connected to TV, sound sent back to soundbar via eARC

Results = Soundbar display Atmos logo, Emby server well sending Dolby True HD Atmos format. Sound quality is awesome.

Learning supposed = there is then something between the Emby and output soundbar speakers that is transcoding the audio signal to lossy Atmos ?! or maybe the Samsung Soundbar is not even capable to read Dolby True HD Atmos signal and automatically downgrade it DD+ Atmos ?! or maybe eARC technology is so new for now that no standards are really used by any brand and is just a marketing feature for now ?!

Anyway guys, for me these tests are enough, I have what I need personnaly, a system that can read my UHD rips with ATmos firing up tracks from a Shield. That's all I need and I'm gonna stick with that.

I won't waste my time anymore with Samsung etc...and you should maybe question yourself too...finally do you have all high end materials to really leverage eARC as of now ? have you tested it personnaly ?

For me it's now all good and just ordered my Nvidia Shield, and I'll plug it to the TV directly and send back audio via ARC / eARC tot he soundbar.

Cheers !

Ok guys, so following this test, I got myself an Nvidia Shield (by the way it's really awesome device !).

And I've completed my tests with DTS-X format now.

First connecting via ARC (or supposed eARC), played a demo file created by DTS. And on this, no DTS-X logo showed up on the soundbar.

Then I've connected the Shield directly to the soundbar and this time the logo appeared on the soundbar !

So no, the Samsung soundbars are clearly not eARC compatible. Then you can still get Atmos via ARC even from a source using a Dolby true HD Atmos format, because the system will automatically downgrade the signal to Dolby Digital Plus ATmos (DD+), but apparently there is no equivalent process for DTS-X, while maintaining firing up metadata. 

And all consumers who got this information from Samsung customer service or from a sales rep can mention these tests to show them they are wrong, they lied to you. 

Now this will be your choice to decide or not to continue the fight against Samsung...now that I clearly saw by myself these results I think we should continue and even for further. Using the #earcSamsungGate is first step, fine. But we should create a petition on change.org (if anyone has a better website to create one, feel free to share). 

With a petition it will be easier to enroll Samsung customers, we should also not limit this petition to soundbars but also include the 2019 TV owners in this fight. If I'm not wrong I think they are also waiting for a promised eARC update.

This petition will be adressed to Samsung, Samsung CEO's, Samsung engineers etc...

I can prepare the text for the petition and share it there for your feedbacks, but unfortunately i won't be able to create it myself. I'm personnaly working for a group linked somehow with Samsung Electronics, hence don't want to take this risk for my personal career. But definitely I can help on its creation and then spread it around.

Also this petition will need to be published in every AV forums, on every Reddit topics mentioniong these soundbars / TV issues with eARC. But this won't be enough, we also need to enroll reviewers, tech websites, tech influencers etc...without them this petition will be lost in just few days. But for that you should first stop blaming at tech reviewers who mentioned this eARC update in their reviews ! this is not by attacking them that will join our fight ! and they also have been fooled by Smasung who informed them the products were eARC compatible. Maybe they did not test it to verify but don't forget they don't neceassrily have all the stuff to test it just like you.

So who's in ?

0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options

@SuissoNaBisso wrote:

Hey all

So we've done new tests with  Ambursz57 on passing through ARC / eARC HD sounds to the soundbar.Here is the set up we tested :LG TV model C9 from 2019 with HDMI 2.1 and eARC

Soundbar Samsung Q90R with supposed eARC 

Nvidia Shield 2019 model

Emby app with UHD movies containing Dolby True HD Atmos soundtrack

First test :

TV C9 with eARC enabled

Learning supposed = Samsung soundbar is well eARC enabled as receiving HD sound from the Shield via the TV.

Second test :

TV C9 with eARC enabled

Soundbar connected to TV and Shield connected to soundbar, not ARC / eARC used.

Results = Soundbar display Atmos logo, Emby server well sending Dolby True HD Atmos format. Sound quality is equally awesome.

Learning supposed = Samsung soundbar is well eARC enabled as receiving HD sound from the Shield via the TV gave the same sound quality as when it was using ARC / eARC.

Third test :

TV C9 with eARC disabled

Learning supposed = there is then something between the Emby and output soundbar speakers that is transcoding the audio signal to lossy Atmos ?! or maybe the Samsung Soundbar is not even capable to read Dolby True HD Atmos signal and automatically downgrade it DD+ Atmos ?! or maybe eARC technology is so new for now that no standards are really used by any brand and is just a marketing feature for now ?!

Anyway guys, for me these tests are enough, I have what I need personnaly, a system that can read my UHD rips with ATmos firing up tracks from a Shield. That's all I need and I'm gonna stick with that.

I won't waste my time anymore with Samsung etc...and you should maybe question yourself too...finally do you have all high end materials to really leverage eARC as of now ? have you tested it personnaly ?

For me it's now all good and just ordered my Nvidia Shield, and I'll plug it to the TV directly and send back audio via ARC / eARC tot he soundbar.

Cheers !

Just in case some moderators remove my latest tests reports, I've posted it here on Reddit.

this is confirmed, NO eARC features on 2019 models ! please help spread the word, no new consumers should be fooled by Samsung and their promises in the future !

0 Likes
dr12
Journeyman
Options

New qled update out....we may also get something for the soundbar...

0 Likes