Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 16-01-2020 07:16 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
Viktorn
Journeyman
Options

Hello. I have a question and maybe some answers. 

First of all, being a owner of the q90r soundbar for a couple of months I wan't to say that it sounds amazing, has no lipsync problems (even over wi-fi), delivers Atmos (from Atmos contend on Netflix) and has no connectivety problems what so ever. It has worked in every aspect and is, in my apinion, probably the best soundbar up to date. 

I have a 4K samsung Tv since 2016 (uhds8xxx and something) it has ARC.  

At first I had fluctuations to the sound (connectivity problems?). Fixed that by cranking all data transfers to the max (connected the Apple Tv 4K to the router via ethernet (probably not necessary) and put the settings on Netflix to the higest bitrate, sound and video). 

Now, on the specifications on the soundbar it says it supports Dolby Atmos/DD+, DTS-X/digital surround. Those formats are a bit compressed but deliver hi-fi sound and is said to improve in the future. 

It doesn't state anywhere that it supports Dolby trueHD or DTS HD master audio (though I could have sworn I read that somewhere in the specifications).

Regarding to those formats (The HD's uncompressed), they won't be available anywhere through streaming services in near future. And if you listen to those through the soundbar it compresses them bit. 

My question is if eARC update would come out (And I believe that it could be updated - if it can pass through 4K at 60fps up to the TV it at least has the bitrate to stream uncompressed audio down to the soundbar).

Is it even possible to stream wirelessly to the sub and the 4 surround/atmos speakers - since you need to connect it with HDMI's just to get the compressed sound? 

And.. for an example earc have not been on consoles up till now (the next gens - if then), and have a lot of Blue ray players had earc up till now? if we need eArc to get those HD formats where have it been available up till now?

And finally. This is a soundbar. It does not have to "support" VRR, QMS, QFT or ALLM. That is for the TV to support. It only needs to get the sound without lipsync problems and that was a feature of HDMI 1.3. The best thing would be being able to connect everything to the TV and connect that to the soundbar. 

Amburz57
Explorer
Options

Hi  SuissoNaBisso might be able to help you. I have the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 and the Q90R soundbar. I will tell you first I have my Nvidia Shield plugged directly into the Q90R soundbar so I can get full Dolby Atmos & DTS-x uncompressed. I also use Plex and have a Plex pass so full features are available on and off my home newwork. So my set up is LG C9 with the Apple TV 4K and Xbox One X plugged directly in to the tv, Q90R via ARC and the shield plugged in the bar for full features on the Shield. If my set up sounds right for your tests let me know!

dr12
Journeyman
Options

just lose that atmos on xbox?because the soundbar does not support earc? Or?

0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options

@Amburz57  I PMed you :smiling-face:

0 Likes
GW888
First Poster
Options

No streaming service is streaming uncompressed multichannel audio at this time nor has the intention to do so been announced. Eg Netflix uses DD+. So streaming boxes may be connected directly to the tv and audio sent to a soundbar or receiver with no further loss of quality over ARC. No need of eARC. This way you need not lose Dolby Vision because of Samsung soundbars not passing it to the tv.

Losless audio such as TrueHD are available on bluray or files. These can be connected directly to the soundbar if you wish to preserve uncompressed audio.

0 Likes
kylios88
Apprentice
Options

@GW888 wrote:

No streaming service is streaming uncompressed multichannel audio at this time nor has the intention to do so been announced. Eg Netflix uses DD+. So streaming boxes may be connected directly to the tv and audio sent to a soundbar or receiver with no further loss of quality over ARC. No need of eARC. This way you need not lose Dolby Vision because of Samsung soundbars not passing it to the tv.

Losless audio such as TrueHD are available on bluray or files. These can be connected directly to the soundbar if you wish to preserve uncompressed audio.

I 've got my appleTV connected to the samsung soundbar and my LG C9 receives Dolby vision.

0 Likes
GW888
First Poster
Options
Good to know. But whether you connect the Apple TV directly to the soundbar or tv, at this time one would not get HD audio on streaming service.
0 Likes
Yonisos
First Poster
Options

I am also able to passtrough dolby vision from my NVIDIA Shield pro but only in 30hz.

0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options

Hey all

So we've done new tests with  Ambursz57 on passing through ARC / eARC HD sounds to the soundbar.Here is the set up we tested :LG TV model C9 from 2019 with HDMI 2.1 and eARC

Soundbar Samsung Q90R with supposed eARC 

Nvidia Shield 2019 model

Emby app with UHD movies containing Dolby True HD Atmos soundtrack

First test :

TV C9 with eARC enabled

Soundbar connected to TV and Shield connected to TV, sound sent back to soundbar via eARC

Results = Soundbar display Atmos logo, Emby server well sending Dolby True HD Atmos format. Sound quality is awesome.

Learning supposed = Samsung soundbar is well eARC enabled as receiving HD sound from the Shield via the TV.

Second test :

TV C9 with eARC enabled

Soundbar connected to TV and Shield connected to soundbar, not ARC / eARC used.

Results = Soundbar display Atmos logo, Emby server well sending Dolby True HD Atmos format. Sound quality is equally awesome.

Learning supposed = Samsung soundbar is well eARC enabled as receiving HD sound from the Shield via the TV gave the same sound quality as when it was using ARC / eARC.

Third test :

TV C9 with eARC disabled

Soundbar connected to TV and Shield connected to TV, sound sent back to soundbar via eARC

Results = Soundbar display Atmos logo, Emby server well sending Dolby True HD Atmos format. Sound quality is awesome.

Learning supposed = there is then something between the Emby and output soundbar speakers that is transcoding the audio signal to lossy Atmos ?! or maybe the Samsung Soundbar is not even capable to read Dolby True HD Atmos signal and automatically downgrade it DD+ Atmos ?! or maybe eARC technology is so new for now that no standards are really used by any brand and is just a marketing feature for now ?!

Anyway guys, for me these tests are enough, I have what I need personnaly, a system that can read my UHD rips with ATmos firing up tracks from a Shield. That's all I need and I'm gonna stick with that.

I won't waste my time anymore with Samsung etc...and you should maybe question yourself too...finally do you have all high end materials to really leverage eARC as of now ? have you tested it personnaly ?

For me it's now all good and just ordered my Nvidia Shield, and I'll plug it to the TV directly and send back audio via ARC / eARC tot he soundbar.

Cheers !

kylios88
Apprentice
Options

@SuissoNaBisso wrote:

Hey all

So we've done new tests with  Ambursz57 on passing through ARC / eARC HD sounds to the soundbar.Here is the set up we tested :LG TV model C9 from 2019 with HDMI 2.1 and eARC

Soundbar Samsung Q90R with supposed eARC 

Nvidia Shield 2019 model

Emby app with UHD movies containing Dolby True HD Atmos soundtrack

First test :

TV C9 with eARC enabled

Learning supposed = Samsung soundbar is well eARC enabled as receiving HD sound from the Shield via the TV.

Second test :

TV C9 with eARC enabled

Soundbar connected to TV and Shield connected to soundbar, not ARC / eARC used.

Results = Soundbar display Atmos logo, Emby server well sending Dolby True HD Atmos format. Sound quality is equally awesome.

Learning supposed = Samsung soundbar is well eARC enabled as receiving HD sound from the Shield via the TV gave the same sound quality as when it was using ARC / eARC.

Third test :

TV C9 with eARC disabled

Learning supposed = there is then something between the Emby and output soundbar speakers that is transcoding the audio signal to lossy Atmos ?! or maybe the Samsung Soundbar is not even capable to read Dolby True HD Atmos signal and automatically downgrade it DD+ Atmos ?! or maybe eARC technology is so new for now that no standards are really used by any brand and is just a marketing feature for now ?!

Anyway guys, for me these tests are enough, I have what I need personnaly, a system that can read my UHD rips with ATmos firing up tracks from a Shield. That's all I need and I'm gonna stick with that.

I won't waste my time anymore with Samsung etc...and you should maybe question yourself too...finally do you have all high end materials to really leverage eARC as of now ? have you tested it personnaly ?

For me it's now all good and just ordered my Nvidia Shield, and I'll plug it to the TV directly and send back audio via ARC / eARC tot he soundbar.

Cheers !

So, the same outcome as when we tested via Plex. Good to know!