Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 23-12-2019 04:04 AM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
Bkk
Apprentice
Options

I don't see why it's so hard to add earc support on 2.0b unless you just don't want to. So my conclusion has to be samsung feels it's ok to get away with that and sweep it under the rug to give you a reason to upgrade to the next model. When it should have been included already. Prove me wrong samsung and send out an effin firmware update already! At least an official notification of what's going on, something. Can everyone start complaining to them, right before xmas lol

0 Likes
zoric
Explorer
Options
This misguide of their trusted buyers won’t affect them at all...Soundbars are just a tiny peace of their empire...so they can get away with it.
0 Likes
Clapton94
Journeyman
Options

Does anyone know if a new model will come out over 2020? Would be weird to already replace those models so we can still expect for earc in order to sell more... 

0 Likes
zoric
Explorer
Options
I think there will be some info on CES 2020 that starts on 7 January...
Dyltone
Apprentice
Options

What ghetto TV did you buy? The Q90r has the Plex app, you just have to install it, it's not preinstalled. I can't confirm the 100MB connection via wired LAN but let's pretend it is... Unless you somehow invented some new file format, 100MB/s is multiple times faster than needed for a full 4k BluRay which is encoded at 100Mb/s... please note the small "b". 

I'm not trying to defend Samsung here, but you're spreading a lot of false information.

0 Likes
jiready82
Apprentice
Options

@Dyltone wrote:

What ghetto TV did you buy? The Q90r has the Plex app, you just have to install it, it's not preinstalled. I can't confirm the 100MB connection via wired LAN but let's pretend it is... Unless you somehow invented some new file format, 100MB/s is multiple times faster than needed for a full 4k BluRay which is encoded at 100Mb/s... please note the small "b". 

I'm not trying to defend Samsung here, but you're spreading a lot of false information.

They are both "little B's". And yes, with network overhead, many blu rays hit that 100mb limit. My "ghetto" TV is the one I posted I have in my comment, q90r. And no, the plex app on the TV cannot stream many new release uhd full quality remuxed movies. This easily verified within the plex server by watching your bandwidth monitor, but I'm guessing you aren't working with good enough equipment to have ever seen it. 

0 Likes
Dyltone
Apprentice
Options

@jiready82 wrote:

@Dyltone wrote:

They are both "little B's". And yes, with network overhead, many blu rays hit that 100mb limit. My "ghetto" TV is the one I posted I have in my comment, q90r. And no, the plex app on the TV cannot stream many new release uhd full quality remuxed movies. This easily verified within the plex server by watching your bandwidth monitor, but I'm guessing you aren't working with good enough equipment to have ever seen it. 

Let me start by saying, I'm not the one having issues watching anything on my Plex. 

My Q90r is wireless to a Google Mesh system and I have no issues with any of my content up to and including full bluray remux's (50-80GB files).

As for my equipment, I'm all set. I have 2 loaded DS1819+'s (3rd in a box waiting for drives), each with 4 bonded GB LAN links. Plex is running on my 8700K gaming rig with a GTX 2070 so no issue with performance with transcoding or direct play, no matter how many users are on at the same time. Maybe you should check your "equipment"...

0 Likes
superwing
Student
Options

Looks like this is the new sound bar to be announced in ces 2020. Anyone has any details? earc..

0 Likes
superwing
Student
Options
0 Likes
LASHER
First Poster
Options

I wouldn't use eARC even if it had it. ,  i want to be able to stream all media on my device (including high bitrate media on PLEX) and you cant do that from a TV app,because TVs only have 100/100 network cards. (Only if you set plex to decode or compress your media) and that's not an option! If you want to be able to stream high quality media files in a local network through plex you need a box with gigabit network card , for example the nvidia shield pro, wich you obviously connect straight to the soundbar. For gaming devices like PC or ps4pro can go straight into the TV because Dolby atmos is not important on those (for me).