Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 01-12-2019 09:47 AM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

@_oSo_ wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprise to hear in a few months lawyers looking to sue Samsung for this and make money out of this situation.

Oh yeah, Samsung and Stephen Withers, fake-journalist, who wrote most of the biggest Q90R soundbar reviews available on the Internet (since months), where he stated that most Samsung 2019 soundbars already support eARC. He even mentioned eARC support in Q90R technical specufication. And I am sure he did it for a purpose. He was the most important part of the false specyfication capagain.

Samsung needed someone who would do this "unoficially". So now Samsung can say "we never said eARC was coming" and Withers can say "I was given false information by an inside source". They both think the're covered.

0 Likes
pasab
Apprentice
Options
It´s a disgrace what Samsung is making, they confused the people with unclear specifications and now they don´t fix the situation... taking into account we are speaking about very expensive products.
this is imo why Samsung will never be a top brand, they pretend to have the best products and always have some stupid tricks that ruin the product (vision, atmos, earc, xvid, divx, dts, stupid hub ads ...).
Next year they will probably launch Hdmi 2.1/earc with new TV´s and will sell it like a huge feature for new customers and will laugh at us by forcing us to buy a new connect box or whatever.
0 Likes
pasab
Apprentice
Options
and also the funny thing is that now when they see people is quite angry with this situation they don´t give any clear answer (moderators in these posts are missing) and keep silent. They use "journalists" to spread some fake rumours.
I´ll not buy as previous colleagues neither soundbar from Samsung nor TV´s Qled.
LG is treating much better clients.
0 Likes
JFarol
Journeyman
Options

Seems to be queit in the past few days with no real updates from the "journalists" or Samsung themselves.  Anyone hear of anything new?  i have 10 more days until my return window expires and if eARC really isn't coming i'm going to have to exchange this Q90R for a different setup.

0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options
Well at least you have the option to exchange or return. 10 days go fast and this So much needed update will only come in the form of a new Q90R tv and/or soundbar. This is a 2019 device that soon will be a year old and soon to be called “the previous model” and the new model will be exactly the same but with the eARC features or the so much wanted 2.1 HDMI, one or the other, but if I where you I would be returning this and not coming back to Samsung ever again. Go for another brand that gives you what Samsung is not willing to give us. Not even their top of the line tv, the QLED Q900, an 8K tv that cost a ton of money has this feature. I don’t think they will bring is to a less expensive, and yet still expensive device. I am still hoping for an update but then again I have no choice since I can’t return it, if I had the choice I wouldn’t be living on hope and better I would be enjoying the eARC features with another device (brand) probably even less expensive.
0 Likes
Viktorn
Journeyman
Options

Well. I bought this one and must say it sounds great. 

It sais right there in the user manual that the soundbar supports: LPCM 8ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos (True HD/Digital plus), DTS:X. 

There is no way that they say it supports that if the HDMI input is not capable of supporting that and I don't think you can get much more quality than that through a soundbar or from any input device.. 

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
It can support those sound formats but not through standard arc. Arc is compressed audio that can only do 5.1. EARC allows for uncompressed 7.1 audio sent directly from the tv. That’s the whole reason why people want this soundbar to be eARC supported. So if you have a standard arc setup you’ll never get uncompressed sound through 7.1
0 Likes
kylios88
Apprentice
Options

Have you tested it yourself?

Last week @SuissoNaBisso and I played several uncompressed 7.1 (DolbyTrueHD)  movies and Dolby test trailers and the soundbar played these audio formats via ARC (LG C9). (we used a Nvidia Shield player connected to the LG C9)

As far as we were able to test it, we have found no proof that it could not receive uncompressed audio files via ARC. 

0 Likes
Viktorn
Journeyman
Options

Aw, this is complicated. 

Well, isn't it just a matter of connecting the source to the soundbar itself for the sound and using the ARC as a 4K passthrough?

And there is still hope for the eARC update right?

0 Likes
Blib
Explorer
Options

You can do that yes, but then you won’t get 4k120hz Pass-through when ut arrives, or VRR pass-through which is available today with nvidia cards

Also, the soundbar defaults to HDMI ARC every time ut boots up, so you would need to switch inputs on ut every time as well. 

0 Likes