Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 20-11-2019 09:59 AM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
smuller76
Explorer
Options

@Blib wrote:
I don’t think any of those services provide lossless audio. With Plex you can download your own movies and get truehd lossless audio, at least on the 2019 versions

Via the Soundbar I get lossless Dolby True HD/Atmos and DTS:X via own movies like ISO and MKV files. But still no luck with the streaming apps while they advertise Atmos (lossy).

0 Likes
smuller76
Explorer
Options

@SuissoNaBisso wrote:

then for your Nvidia Shield 2017 edition this might be a question of licensing.

Do you see the Dolby Atmos logo appearing in these apps on the content page ? is yes then this is technical issue, if not then this compatibility issue with Shield 2017

Let me check for you.

Also found this 9 months old post on reddit:

"Nvidia shield itself does not play atmos but it allows passthrough for receiver/audio system to play so apps that support passthrough like kodi etc you get atmos. Netflix app on shield does not support atmos yet.

On the other hand Apple Tv supports Netflix/Amazon Atmos but does not support playing your own rips with atmos with kodi mrmc etc."

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Yes you can still get atmos with arc but it’s compressed through DD+
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

@zhspence wrote:

Just an update guys, apparently (though not concrete) the update may be delayed to December due to the testing stage. It still might arrive this month, but there is potential for it to arrive December.  Plus confirmed 2019 tv and soundbars only will be included but it EXCLUDES the Q60R 

That's what I thought. In December there will be some another reason to delay the update until January and so on. Apparently reviewers teamed up with Samsung to fool customers and lie about eARC support. I wonder what did they get in return? A TV + soundbar + phone combo perhaps? Or Samsung just sucked their *****?

Get lost, Samsung. You ain't gonna fool me again. Piece of S*H*I*T.

smuller76
Explorer
Options
No Atmos logo on Prime or Netflix. However i checked out Jack Ryan and season 1 plays Atmos (shows in the soundbar) but no Atmos for season 2 lol.
0 Likes
fb767
Explorer
Options

@zhspence wrote:

Just an update guys, apparently (though not concrete) the update may be delayed to December due to the testing stage. It still might arrive this month, but there is potential for it to arrive December.  Plus confirmed 2019 tv and soundbars only will be included but it EXCLUDES the Q60R 

Ah darn, that's a huge red flag for me. It starts like this before you know it it's 2020 and they'll just cancel the update with the hope we get suckered into buying the 2020 soundbar. 

0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

Exackly. Plus, how long does it take for such a big IT company like Samaung to implement such a relatively easy technology as eARC? What a bulls:h:it argument. And I wonder how those particular reviewers feels in this situation. They should be all sued for spreading fals informations, intentionally. Fcking suckers.

0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options

Samsung is playing with the market in this so called update. They are just waiting to release the new 2020 QLEDS and soundbars with the eARC and possibly HDMI 2.1 feature as the "Next best thing" for their tv and bars lineup. That's how they will make potential customer to go for their new and more expensive lineup as oppose to buy the 2019 TVs and soundbars. It's almost December and no update. We are already approaching the busiest season of the year in sales. This is discouraging to any potential buyer. If they really wanted to make things right for the buyers, at least for those who Samsung promised eARC, they should have released that update long time ago. Not a year later (if it happens). And also for those who have a QLED tv specially the the top tier of qLEDS (Q90, Q80 and Q70) that update or a new One Connect box with HDMI 2.1 compatible with 2019 models would be the right thing to do. I'm sure 2020 QLED models will have this box. And so just make it compatible with the 2019 lineup. I'm not sure about others but I would buy it just to have true HD Atmos. 

JFarol
Journeyman
Options

Interesting- i get Atmos playing through my soundbar on S2 Jack Ryan via Apple TV 4k

0 Likes
Blib
Explorer
Options
Yes you get atmos, but it’s compressed, lossy atmos. Which is the best you can get from a amazon prime anyway, but what we want is true lossless atmos from other sources
0 Likes