Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 20-11-2019 06:15 AM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
No problem, I hope it passes too. It’s been a long time coming. If I’m not mistaken it also includes bug fixes for connectivity issues too.
0 Likes
smuller76
Explorer
Options
Thanks for checking, hw-n950 is almost identical so still hope Samsung won't let us down lol
0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
No problem, I know the 2018 is almost identical to the Q90R but I genuinely don’t think any 2018 models of TVs or soundbars will get the eARC support. It would be nice for those who have 2018 models but I just can’t see Samsung doing it.
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Just an update guys, apparently (though not concrete) the update may be delayed to December due to the testing stage. It still might arrive this month, but there is potential for it to arrive December.  Plus confirmed 2019 tv and soundbars only will be included but it EXCLUDES the Q60R 

smuller76
Explorer
Options

I've just read somewhere that you don't need earc to get for example Atmos for Netflix. Do you perhaps know if this is true?

"Earc is only needed to carry lossless audio formats like Dolby True HD, not Atmos: however native Atmos is generally layered on lossless audio tracks". Source AVS forum's.

What I've understood was that streaming services like Netflix/Prime only offers Lossy Atmos so compressed and should work then without receiving any updates on our soundbars?

0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options

Yes it is true.

There are two types of Atmos :

- lossless format like Dolby True HD Atmos wich need eARC as it needs an higher bitrate to be carried to the sound receiver.

- lossy format like Dolby Digital Plus (written DD+) Atmos which is used by streaming services like Netflix or Prime Video, this only need ARC connection as the bitrate is lower than lossless format.

0 Likes
Blib
Explorer
Options
That is correct. Netflix only uses lossy atmos and that works today even without the eARC update
0 Likes
smuller76
Explorer
Options
Thanks guys, I forgot to mention that I am using an NVIDIA Shield (2017) but at the moment I've only managed to get Lossless audio via the Kodi app but no Lossy Atmos via Netflix/Prime or Disney+ 😞
0 Likes
Blib
Explorer
Options

I don’t think any of those services provide lossless audio. With Plex or Kodi etc you can download your own movies and get truehd lossless audio. 

0 Likes
SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options

then for your Nvidia Shield 2017 edition this might be a question of licensing.

Do you see the Dolby Atmos logo appearing in these apps on the content page ? is yes then this is technical issue, if not then this compatibility issue with Shield 2017

0 Likes