Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 16-11-2019 06:36 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
_oSo_
Navigator
Options
I curious about the support for eRAC on all 2019 TVs. As I understand 2019 qLEDS don’t have HDMI 2.1 which is needed for eARC. The only way I can think this tv can have eARC is buy producing a ONE Connect Box with an HDMI 2.1 port and make this box compatible with all 2019 TVs. Unless the tv already has an HDMI 2.1 and Samsung hasn’t mentioned at all and it’s not active yet and it needs a firmware update in order to gain all the HDMI 2.1 functionality.
Maybe I’m not understanding eARC correctly. I bought a 2019 Q90 tv and also the HW Q90R soundbar. If this functionality is to come on a form of a firmware update that would be awesome, I just can’t understand how it will happen with the hardware limitations.
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Hi, you do not need HDMI 2.1 for eARC. Earc is a feature of 2.1 but can be implemented in older HDMI ports. It is due to come out in a firmware update. Sony released a firmware update to allow eARC support on their products and their HDMI ports are not 2.1
0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options
Great. Do you know if this upgrade will allow to pass Dolby Atmos from my Xbox if connected to the tv instead of the soundbar? I think that’s the main feature I miss from eARC, if this will be able I’ll be more than happy.
0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I’m not entirely sure, I know it’ll pass lossless audio but I have my soundbar straight to the tv and it allows atmos etc... I have the LG C9. earc allows 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed audio whereas standard arc only allows 5.1 compressed audio.
0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options
I really hope the update happens for both, the Samsung QLED Q90 tv and the HW Q90r soundbar. These 2 devices were supposed to be the perfect match, they even named them almost similarly. Updating one of them buy giving it Atmos capabilities without the other one makes no sense. So far this soundbar makes more sense to people who owns an LG TV. It’s like if Samsung is saying “buy the soundbar and buy an LG tv, don’t buy the samsung tv”.
0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I’ve heard this a lot how the perfect pair end up not being that great together. Weirdly the LG C9 works perfectly with the Q90R soundbar. Like atmos works through normal arc albeit DD+ plus it works fine no sync issues or anything.
Clapton94
Journeyman
Options
I can confirm, I have the same set up 65E9 and hw-q80r and it works perfectly even my Xbox delivers atmos with its hdmi to the TV
0 Likes
JFarol
Journeyman
Options

Same situation. I have the Q90R soundbar connected to my LG Nanocell 9 series. When connected Apple TV 4K and Xbox one x directly to tv with eARC and pass through turned on I do get atmos but the audio delay is insane. I'm guessing the q90r still doesn't support eARC. 

0 Likes
Blib
Explorer
Options

I've been experiencing about a 10ms or so lag on the HW-Q90R as well, which I think I will just have to live with. On my Sonos which I returned to the store I had about 90ms and that was unacceptable. How bad is your lag? 

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

It's so odd how a few people are experiencing delay. I have heard though a common complaint is from the Xbox console. For some reason having that directly connected to the soundbar causes sync issues. 

I have the soundbar directly to the tv (C9) via arc and nothing else connected to the soundbar. All sound from my PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K are all sent via tv arc to thr Q90R and not once have I ever experienced sync issues. 

but like I said it's without a doubt a known issue with direct connection of Xbox to soundbar. 

eARC isn't supported yet but I have the confirmation that it will be released this month. When this month not entirely sure. Was to be the middle but I guess the middle can go up to the 20th. 

0 Likes