Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE49MU7070 & HW-MS650 soundbar low volume problem

(Topic created on: 09-08-2017 04:00 PM)
Dtag
Student
Options

Hello,

Last week (1-8-2017) I purchased a new UE49MU7070 and HW-MS650 soundbar after reading all the great reviews the soundbar had.

I have the soundbar connected via a HDMI cable connected between the TV and the soundbar (using the ARC compliant HDMI port on the TV)

I have found though, that the output volume is not what expected when using a signal derived from the TV (satellite program from internal TV decoder, Netflix app on the TV, Youtube app on the TV, etc.). I can increase the volume to 50 and the sound level increases as you would expect, but from 50 to 100 the level hardly changes, and even at the maximum volume the sound level is not what you would expect from a 180W soundbar, infact it is still quite low.

Now I know it is the TV that has the audio problem and not the soundbar for the following reasons:-

1. If I use the TV speakers instaead of the soundbar, I still have the problem with volume increasing OK up to to 50 level, but from 50 to 100 there is hardly any increase.

2. If I use the spotify app on the TV, the sound level does go loud. If I play the sound from the soundbar the sound goes really loud (just like all the reviews say it does)

3. And this is the real test that shows it is a TV problem. I also have an X-Box one connected via HDMI to the TV. If I play a movie from Netfilx on the X-Box the sound from the TV/Soundbar increases normally all the way up to the max 100 setting (and sounds great!) as soon as I swith over to the Netflix app on the TV the sound level drops dramatically, proving beyond doubt that it is the sound level coming from the TV that is the problem.

The TV has the latest firmware, and I've gone through all the sound settings on the TV but I can't find anyway to fix the problem. I've found other people complaining about low volume from the soundbar on the internet, but I think it is the TV and not the soundbar that is the problem, I am assuming that all the people who are complaining have the soundbar connected to a Samsung TV.

Has anyone else come across this problem or does anyone have anything for me to try before I take the TV back?

Thanks

David

61 REPLIES 61
Dtag
Student
Options

Seems like Samsung have a serious problem with the way they are outputting the audio level from their TV's

Seems others on the SONOS forum are having exactly the same problem as me (see link below), but with different TV models, which make me think it is a system wide problem, and makes it pointless connecting an external sound device to a Samsung TV if you can never get the maximum volume from it.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/samsung-one-connect-low-audio-volume-6788665

I'm confident that I could reproduce this problem on any recent Samsung TV to their engineers if they are interested.

Solution
DanBrady
Journeyman
Options

I'm not sure whether this will help however I have just bought a mu6200 and the sound on day one was fine but after that it's been really low. I've had to have the TV set to 100 (maximum) and even then it was difficult to hear things and not as loud as it should be on maximum. 

I tried to change all kinds of settings and no luck, the sound from the menu selections were really loud when volume was at 100 so I knew the speakers were fine, but every other source of volume output on the TV was poor. 

I have a galaxy S8+ and when I swiped down on the phone to access quick menu I noticed "Samsung connect" with my TV showing as connected. I selected the TV and chose 'mirror view' .The volume shot up instantly and now I have it set at 16 as opposed to 100

May not help but just incase I thought I'd offer my fix...good luck

Parksy83
First Poster
Options
DanBrady you have just saved my life! Just tried the fix with my S8 and it worked! Been going mad for the last week! Thank you
0 Likes
DanBrady
Journeyman
Options

No worries. I realised after ordering a sound bar 😂still have No idea what caused it or why connecting with the phone resolves it but hey, if it works....

0 Likes
R22GDW
Student
Options

I've just encountered the same issue, but I don't own a galaxy s8, iPhone user. Any ideas how I can resolve this?? I connected via BT using Spotify and volume is amazing, but I'm suffering terrible volume when connected to TV as you deceive above 

DanBrady
Journeyman
Options

Sorry buddy, I do not. I honestly dont know what I did when I connected my phone but it made a huges difference. I was convinced I had a defected unit until I stumbled on the fix. Try turning everything off at the wall and reconnecting as that has fixed a few issues for me -  good luck 

0 Likes
R22GDW
Student
Options

Disconnected/reconnected and working fine now, very strange indeed. Volume fine day one, dropped, and now only sorted by rebooting, hopefully doesn't happen again. Ta

0 Likes
tomfree
First Poster
Options

This is unbelievable. After several hours of troubleshhooting my extremely low tv speaker volume issue I stumbled upon this post about the cell phone mirror option and WOW , it worked.Thanks for sharing. FYI when I first tried the mirror option I had my phone mirrored onto tv and that did nothing but when I switched to having tv mirrored onto phone the volume on tv came back to normal. Crazy!

0 Likes
DanBrady
Journeyman
Options

Glad I could help. I didnt intend on  hijacking this post but this appears on Google near the top when searching for the issue so thought I'd try to help anyone else in the same boat as me

0 Likes