Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UBD-K8500 problems

(Topic created on: 27-05-2018 05:43 PM)
Ajcon
Student
Options

Probably all been said before.  But tried to play 4k gladiator today.   Message disc does not meet specifications.  Only disc this has happened with and have a few new ones  blade runn 2049 etc.  All work fine.  Turned that option to prohibit.     Called samsung.   And they said it's probably because of copyright.  And Samsung not having an agreement to play that disc??  Other universal discs work   ..  I tried to explain, surely you buy a uk player.  A uk disc.  It should work.  The lady said it's to be expected.  Not a problem with the player.  But no copyright agreement and so doesn't work.   And it's normal.   Basically no help at all.. And couldn't understand me being frustrated.   Saying not all discs will work with any player.  Not just Samsung.   Some companies having different agreements in place and so on other brands players.  Maybe some other discs wouldn't work because no copyright agreement!  Which.. I know surely can't be remotely true (or shouldn't be)   asked her if it will be resolved in future    she said nothing to resolve..  just that gladiator 4k just isn't compatible with this player and that  was normal and not a fault....  if anyone can help.   That would be great 

2 REPLIES 2
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Ajcon wrote:

Probably all been said before.  But tried to play 4k gladiator today.   Message disc does not meet specifications.  Only disc this has happened with and have a few new ones  blade runn 2049 etc.  All work fine.  Turned that option to prohibit.     Called samsung.   And they said it's probably because of copyright.  And Samsung not having an agreement to play that disc??  Other universal discs work   ..  I tried to explain, surely you buy a uk player.  A uk disc.  It should work.  The lady said it's to be expected.  Not a problem with the player.  But no copyright agreement and so doesn't work.   And it's normal.   Basically no help at all.. And couldn't understand me being frustrated.   Saying not all discs will work with any player.  Not just Samsung.   Some companies having different agreements in place and so on other brands players.  Maybe some other discs wouldn't work because no copyright agreement!  Which.. I know surely can't be remotely true (or shouldn't be)   asked her if it will be resolved in future    she said nothing to resolve..  just that gladiator 4k just isn't compatible with this player and that  was normal and not a fault....  if anyone can help.   That would be great 

Hi @Ajcon,after some searching  noticed a few have had similar  issues , it seems there can be digital media rights issues with some players  affecting the latest discs and so important you have latest update, last one April 2018.  https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-ubd-k8500   Turning BD live to prohibit can fix some issues but obviously you have done that.  some issues on US community https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/hometheaterhomeaudio/thread-...    general info from this site https://www.whathifi.com/advice/ultra-hd-blu-ray-everything-you-need-to-know     If does not resolve issue could try a reset/unplugging but may have to wait for future support.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Sonic673
First Poster
Options

I've just tried the Sylvester Stallone film, Cliffhanger, with the Samsung K8500. I get a message saying it isn't supported and there's a white noise/static on the TV screen.

Every other UHD I have works fine. I even did a straight swap for Blackhawk Down. Blackhawk Down works fine.

I tried to do a firmware update on theplayer and apparently I already have the latest firmware.

What now?