Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about adding a pair of R1's to my HW K850 Atmos soundbar.....will it work?

(Topic created on: 25-07-2017 09:00 PM)
ARYN86
Apprentice
Options

So I recently got the K850 soundbar, I opted for it instead of the K950 for several reasons including price and the fact I have  a fairly small room so can't accomodate permanent rear speakers that the 950 has, but I am interested in getting  a pair of R1 wireless speakers the I can use as regular stereo speakers for my bedroom and occasionally be bought down to give me a more immersive surround experience with the K850.

My question is will this work? I see in theory it works but I had a glance at the K650 thread and noticed people having problems so wanted to know if these issues have been sorted or if they ever existed with the K850, I did see someone mentioned something about how the Atmos stopped working when the rear R1's were active. I just want to check and see if people have got these working properly as it'll give me some peace of mind and something to look forward to.

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20
Rich_z7
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

I know they're different products but I have an MS6500 Soundbar and two R3's.  It's given me hives trying to get these things to work together but once they do it's fantastic.

You apparently can only get surround sound when you use Wireless (not Bluetooth),  so you need a router handy.  With your TV turned off,  change the soundbar mode to WiFi.  Turn the sound bar off.  Change the R1's to WiFi.  Download the Samsung Multiroom App.

Now you're ready to tear your hair out.

Turn the TV on.

Turn on the soundbar

Goto the Multi Room app and select Add Speaker for each R1,  select Add Speaker for the soundbar.  On the sound bar press the 'Add Spkr' button which conveniently on mine (pokes Samsung very hard....) is on the bottom...... I only found it when I was looking for the serial number....

Now goto the TV and navigate to the Sound config.  Select Wifi Speaker surround sound.

If the soundbar is not showing as the centre speaker add it.

CHECK both the R1's to make sure they are on the left or Right when they say they're on the left or right.  If not,  swap them on the screen or just pick 'em up.

Save the config,  Use the config and sit back and enjoy.

Rich 

ARYN86
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the detailed reply it's much apprecaited, I must admit it does sound kind of complex BUT my soundbar has the wifi text displaying whenever it turns on so I'm assuming wifi is ready to go (I did turn it on to do a firmware update when I first purchased it)

Will the R1's be ready to work with any of the soundbar inputs? HDMI1/HDMI2 etc. once they are setup via the app? got this feeling If I switched over to HDMI1 which is My Xbox One S to maybe watch a UHD blu ray that I'd get some problems.

0 Likes
Rich_z7
Pioneer
Options

Assuming that R3's are basically the next model up from R1's,  they do have a usb input but their best use is wireless networked with your sound bar.  Infact according to Samsung you can't create a surround solund system with a wired/wireless mix.

Couple them with a Vebos stand each and park them behind your couch....  That would be a problem with wires.

So,  the R1 will only really work with Bluetooth or Wireless - Wireless for preference. 

I regularly switch between sources - My SkyQ,  My Blue Ray player or my TS-653A  30TB NAS without any problem because the sound information is on a common carrier - your wifi.  It does barf a bit when you try and play music through it but you just need to remember to switch back to Surround sound when you're done.

However,  if you play your music through your phone using Multi-room you don't have that problem...

It's only complex the first 3 times.... (Don't let any knowhow or sky engineer near it once you've set it up....)

ARYN86
Apprentice
Options

@Rich_z7 wrote:

Assuming that R3's are basically the next model up from R1's,  they do have a usb input but their best use is wireless networked with your sound bar.  Infact according to Samsung you can't create a surround solund system with a wired/wireless mix.

Couple them with a Vebos stand each and park them behind your couch....  That would be a problem with wires.

So,  the R1 will only really work with Bluetooth or Wireless - Wireless for preference. 

I regularly switch between sources - My SkyQ,  My Blue Ray player or my TS-653A  30TB NAS without any problem because the sound information is on a common carrier - your wifi.  It does barf a bit when you try and play music through it but you just need to remember to switch back to Surround sound when you're done.

However,  if you play your music through your phone using Multi-room you don't have that problem...

It's only complex the first 3 times.... (Don't let any knowhow or sky engineer near it once you've set it up....)

Thanks again, I went ahead and ordered a pair of refurbed R1's from ebay, they're from different sellers with both offering money back (minus postage) so it will give me a chance to try them out, really hope they work out but I'm bracing myself for a bumpy ride as my prior experience with my soundbar and tv together lead me to believe it's going to be a very bumpy ride. But worst case scenario I'll be able to send them back.

0 Likes
Rich_z7
Pioneer
Options

Great!

I hope it all goes well.

If you get stuck or frustrated add a reply to this thread.

One thing to look for is that you might experience speaker network dropouts sure it goes back to t.v. sound. If it does, try moving your router or switching the 2.5 Gjz band off and use 5ghz only.

Have fun!

Rich

0 Likes
ARYN86
Apprentice
Options

@Rich_z7 wrote:

Great!

I hope it all goes well.

If you get stuck or frustrated add a reply to this thread.

One thing to look for is that you might experience speaker network dropouts sure it goes back to t.v. sound. If it does, try moving your router or switching the 2.5 Gjz band off and use 5ghz only.

Have fun!

Rich

Ok so they came today and I've spent about 2 hours having a play around and they are as fiddly as I could have ever imagined.

First after having set up everything ie selecting surround then assigning each speaker a left and chanel spot  I thought it was looking good but then the surround sound setup would not accept in the samsung app, took me about 40 minutes before they were grouped togother and even then it was not clear what was going on. The soundbar was outputting like normal meaning the R1 speakers wern't active then by some fluke the soundbar/tv recognised the setup and I was getting the R1's to work with the soundbar BUT I didn't get to test it out long as for some reason it stopped outputting in surround after I changed back inputs on the soundbar.

I then spent the next 30 minutes trying to get it to work again which I eventually did but to be honest the sound sucked, yes there was sound coming from the R1's but the soundbar sounded dull as if it's power had been mostly stripped away, to be fair this was while I was running some tests on Youtube (your typical 5.1 helicopter test) then once again I must have pressed the wrong button and the setup was lost again.....I've not tried it with netflix or the blu ray player that'll be the real test but so far I'm kind of disappointed with just how fiddly it is, maybe I'm missing something but it's very complex for what it is and I've still not experienced anything close to performance of actual 5.1 sound.

0 Likes
Rich_z7
Pioneer
Options

Put them away for tonight  approach it fresh tomorrow. I'm done for the night at the mo.  I'll get back to you my pm tmorrow.

Rich

ARYN86
Apprentice
Options
No rush mate. Will most likely keep the R1's for my bedroom (use em as a stereo pair) so I've got all the time in the world to make it click.
0 Likes
Rich_z7
Pioneer
Options

First after having set up everything ie selecting surround then assigning each speaker a left and chanel spot  I thought it was looking good but then the surround sound setup would not accept in the samsung app, took me about 40 minutes before they were grouped togother and even then it was not clear what was going on.

Ok,  once you get the hang of it the fiddlyness dissappears.  First,  make sure all your speakers have WIFI as their inputs and check that they are all added to the multi room app, 

Then on the TV goto Sound and select teh Surround sound option.  Set your speakers and check right and left.  Run the surround sound test and save.  Once you've saved it,  if you lose connection it should still be available even if the sound reverts to the TV.

The soundbar was outputting like normal meaning the R1 speakers wern't active then by some fluke the soundbar/tv recognised the setup and I was getting the R1's to work with the soundbar BUT I didn't get to test it out long as for some reason it stopped outputting in surround after I changed back inputs on the soundbar.

I've got to admit it's tempramental.  Sky came and installed Sky Q and my wifi dissappeared....  However,  reset teh speakers inputs to wifi and go back to the sound settings and it should be there.

I then spent the next 30 minutes trying to get it to work again which I eventually did but to be honest the sound sucked, yes there was sound coming from the R1's but the soundbar sounded dull as if it's power had been mostly stripped away, to be fair this was while I was running some tests on Youtube (your typical 5.1 helicopter test) then once again I must have pressed the wrong button and the setup was lost again.....

Are you running it Dolby 5.1 or PCM output ?  Try PCM

I've not tried it with netflix or the blu ray player that'll be the real test but so far I'm kind of disappointed with just how fiddly it is, maybe I'm missing something but it's very complex for what it is and I've still not experienced anything close to performance of actual 5.1 sound.

Once it's working it generally is no problem and I'm happy with the sound I get from mine.  Check to see if there are any software updates for the speakers.  Like I said before if it drops out have a look at the positioning of the router or even disable the 2.4ghz channels on the router as the TV has it's own.

Rich